1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Quit suddenly

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dcwn.45, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I have a 2001 Dodge with an 8' Western plow on a uni mount.
    Last night it was working fine until I parked until late at a friends, when I came out I had no raise, left or right.
    It was working fine up until then, I lowered it to park and when I came back it wouldnt raise up.
    Lights dim and I hear the motor when I try to move it, and the green light [float indicator] comes on and off but no movement.
    Fuse maybe?
    I can push down on the lift cylinder and pull up on it but it goes back down of its own accord,not sure if this is normal.
    any ideas?

2. Davidl79

Davidl79 Junior Member

I would check all the cables from the battery to the solinoid and pump. I had a loose cable on the solinoid once and it melted the solinoid. Might also want to check and make sure the fluid is full and not frozen.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

bad connection at the battery

4. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I will be working on it today or tomorrow and will let you know what happens.
    Great site!

5. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Update

Well, I got it fixed.
    I looked at the electrical plugs first, they were fine [as I thought because I could hear the motor running]
    I saw a suspicious ground connection on the plow motor, fixed it, still nothing.
    Removed the motor from pump, seal looked fine.
    But the fluid looked more like rusty water than hydraulic fluid so I drained the pump [after having to drill out and "easy out the plug!] flushed the rest of the fluid out of the cylynders and hoses, filled her up with new cold weather rated fluid and it now works like a charm.
    I suspect the fluid froze and thats why it just totally quit with no warning .

With the freezing rain and then below zero temps,it's not too surprising.