1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flakesmeangreen, Jan 17, 2003.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

Went to hook up my plow earlier and it wouldn't work. I have a Western Uni-Mount. Motor runs but wouldn't raise or angle. Figured the fluid froze (maybe) since it hasn't been above 20° for a while. I did change it pre-season but who knows. Haven't hooked up to the plow in about a week and a half.

Pulled the motor off to clean the screen and the fluid was gelled. Called my dealer and he said he got lots of calls about this the last few days. Flush the system, clean the screen/replace it and all should be good.

Drained, cleaned and refilled it 4 times (including pushing the fluid out of the cylinders). Each time the screen gets clogged with a filmy-like substance, doesn't really look like ice. It's gotten better but I still can't get it to raise and angle more than twice before it doesn't work again.

Quit working on it for tonight since it's 5° out and I don't have a garage. Plan on calling my dealer in the morning but if anyone has a thought I'd love to hear what the problem might be.

-Tim

2. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

First check all connections and electrical components, but try pouring a big pot of hot water on the motor, solonids and valves, when its very cold sometimes they get stuck. just a guick thought, good luck

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well your main problem is u store it out side all season.before i got my shop i use to store my plows outside.they would do the same thing yours is doing once it got below 12 degrees.gotta put it in a warm places or run it everyday.don't let it sit for a week and a half

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

On the western plow I used to have I had the same problem, I switched to Aircraft hydrolic oil and the problem was solved.

Rick