1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 24v6spd, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Is a resovior from a Western cable controlled conventional the same as a solenoid control? Does the side where the valve body attaches have the same bolt pattern, holes etc.?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have the cable Isarmatic then yes. People regularly talk about converting the old cable units to electric controls. As I understand the valve block comes right off leaving only the hole for the output directly from the pump output. When you put the electric Isarmatic valve block on you are simply redirecting the pump output through a different kind of valve system. The new valve body will have three valves and three coils just like the later model Isarmatic. Be sure to watch for the o-rings when you take it apart.

3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought it was not possible to convert it over.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have never actually done this upgrade and can't promise it works. The mechanic's guide doesn't give enought detail to know if the bolt pattern is thet same. At my shop we NEVER see cable plows or Isarmatics any more as they are so old. Perhaps one of the "old hands" will chime in on this one. I am not very strong on the geriatric plows.....:nod:

5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

yea I dont think the older cable units are convertable the housings are way different ...

[​IMG]