1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western PWM controller repair

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ETL-Repair, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ETL-Repair

ETL-Repair Junior Member

I am an electronic repair professional in Northern NJ. I was trying to assist some folks with the repair of some Spreader PWM controllers. I currently have 3 units. Two of them are 66600s, with a toggle on/off start/blast switch speed control knob and one with push button on/off start/blast and a speed control knob. The units appear to be completely "dead" but are cosmetically perfect. I cannot locate any service literature and Western says they do not have/supply it. They don't appear to be overly complicated and if the custom IC internally is not bad most of the parts seem readily available.

Does anyone know of repair documentation available? Does anyone repair the units?

Thanks in advance.
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

3. ETL-Repair

ETL-Repair Junior Member

Thanks much for the info. The controllers I have are definitely Western, but Western appears to have them made for them by Douglas Dynamics. I understand the theory behind PWM controls, but found the article interesting and informative. THX.

In order to work on these units I need schematic or advice regarding the specific circuit configuration on these units. I'd also be interested if someone offers a repair service.

It's a shame so many vendors choose to operate in a "dispose and replace" mode. With the proper documentation these units would be fairly easy to repair.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you check the board for cracks?
    Bad solder joints?

I ran into a problem with a lap top computer. It wouldn't turn on for nothing.. Now matter what I did, the results were the same, no power. The last time I was going to take it apart before i was going to trash it, I check the power connection between the pcboard and the power connection. The solder between the board and the component was bad. removed the old solder, clean it up, re solder and power it up.

These units get their power for the vehicle battery. If the unit stop working for some unknown reason, it might not be the controller. Might be somewhere in the wiring harness from the battery to the motor in the Salt spreader. Or even a bad ground.

That is also something to check