1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

This was a Western plow in a previous life. I did not make the modifications. This was done before I joined the company.

~Chuck

westernpusher3.jpg

2. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Another angle.

~Chuck

westernpusher1.jpg

3. Chuck Smith

from NJ

It's no Pro Tech, but it works well for us. The plow came off a truck that was sold without the plow. We actually have another one we made into a pusher, but it is on site. This one came back to the yard last night, so I got a few pics.

~Chuck

4. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Looks good. Is that a rubber edge?

John

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

It may not be pretty!!!!!

BUT IT WORKS!!!!! and thats the important thing... isnt that right CHuck?

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It works, and the price was right! What else can you ask?

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

What are you useing the pusher for right now?

Geoff

8. Chuck Smith

from NJ

We actually had the time at the end of the day yesterday for the guys to pick it up from one site. Monday it is going to a different site (for the winter). So we are not actually using it right now, just moving it.

Yes it has a rubber edge on it, but not for long ;)

~Chuck

9. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Looks good chuck :)

10. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Hey Chuck,:waving:
    I wanted to know if you had a picture from behind the pusher to show how it was rigged up? I made a post in the welding section a couple weeks ago about how to make a push box out of a plow for a compact tractor like you have. Turfplus is working on getting me some pictures of a setup that he used on a compact tractor once. Just wanted to know if you had a pictures from the back of the bucket or could tell me how you made the brackets. Thanks for your help. :drinkup:

11. Chuck Smith

from NJ

The second pic above shows the back side. For a skid steer it is easy. Just buy a Quick Tach plate and weld it to the moldboard with bracing. In your case, it will be a little harder. You just have to duplicate the back side of the bucket where it mounts to the loader arms. If it does not have a front bucket, then you need to make a mount for whatever framework your tractor has.

~Chuck

12. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Chuck,
    That was my original idea to duplicate the back of the bucket for the hookup of the blade. The question that was raised was how it would affect the hydraulic cylinders.....how easy they would bend or break espically if a curb was accidently hit? What are your thoughts on that? I think i'm just looking for some reassurance more than anything. thanks!!

13. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I would suppose it would affect the cylinders the same as if you hit the curb with the bucket on, no?

Another thought.... when plowing, the bucket (or pusher) would be on float. There is no need for down pressure when using a pusher, not to mention it is hard to steer with the front wheels of a tractor off the ground (unless it has a split brake peddle). The weight of the pusher rides on the shoes / skids.

~Chuck

14. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Joel,
    I have your pics. You might want to consider mounting a quick attach to your compact so you can switch from bucket to pusher or plow mount. It will also lighten your lifting cap. since the bucket will no longer be attached.

John

15. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Compact pusher

RCS has just came out with a small compact utility pusher that has a quick attach. Ranging from 5' to 10'. The 6' model weighs in at a 400 lbs.

John

the mini pro.jpg

16. STEVE SEPANIAK

STEVE SEPANIAK Junior Member
    from NY

Hey John.
    Nice picture, it definitely fills a gap in the market. What do you think about a truck mount?

Steve

17. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Hi Steve,
    I would think the compact pusher would be great for storefronts. I like the idea of a truck mounted pusher however I would think you would lose some of the steering ability and the pusher would tend to steer the truck in heavy snow plus the weight issue on the front axle. I would be interested in doing some testing for RCS. hint hint. :D

18. STEVE SEPANIAK

from NY

Your on John, I was thinking about Curtis for the frame work they seem like some really standup people with a good product. Any thoughts on this?

19. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Hi Steve,
    I don't have any Curtis plows (mostly Western and a few Meyers) but I did get a chance to look at some Curtis plows and I like what I saw. Very beefy frames and I did see some zerk fitting in the pivot points. I'm not sure if there are any dealers around the Philly area. The only truck waiting for a plow is the 4300 International. Its available as a test bed. It has an #8000 lb front axle. I would think it could handle a 9-10 foot lo pro pusher with no problem. We are also looking at 2003 F350 4x4 PS ext cab but there is a weight limit on the front axle. Any thoughts on that?

John

20. STEVE SEPANIAK

from NY

If I were in the business your in, I would be looking 550 cab and chassis with a hook lift set up for multiple change outs, Flat bed, spreader body, dump body ect. and your axle issue becomes a moot point.
    It would be 4wd, 7.3 power stroke, with a few creature comforts. Now you have an awsome plow truck that will lend itself invaluable for any property maintenance.