1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pump Won't Lift up Blade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Firebird, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Firebird

Firebird Junior Member

I have an old Western pump, probably 20 years old, It has very little power to raise the blade, I can lift the blade about an inch, then it won't go any further, I can hear the pump struggling. It does go side to side but very slowly. The problem has been gradual. I'm thinking the internal pump needs replacing. Perhaps there is something else wrong. Anybody have any ideas.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The first and least expensive thing you may want to do is change the fluid, clean out the sump housing and clean or replace the pump filter. Contaminated fluid or a plugged pick up filter are the most common things that will make it "gradually" get weaker to lift or angle.

Head over to the Western section and search "filter" or "fluid change". Plenty of good info on both subjects.
  3. racer67x

racer67x Junior Member

mine got slow like that,put on a new motor..didn't help.
    snow was coming so I shredded it down to the pump itself,found grooves wore in the cover from the gears spinning..took a file and worked them down smooth.
    reassembled it and 3 years later it still works good.
    another thing I found one night was corrosion causing the motor brushes to stick.
    cleaned that out and it helped alot.
    good luck!