1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western pump squirting fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by faughtj, Mar 29, 2004.

1. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a Western Uni-Mount 8' with the electric/hydro pump. I hooked it up today to move the blade and when I tried to raise the plow, it went up once & dropped.. I got out and there was ATF coming out of the bottom. I had my wife operate the control while I watched the pump and the fluid is blowing out where the pump housing meets the small box on the right if you're faciing it, where the two hydraulic lines that operate the angle rams hook in. I'm a novice on this equipment, only thing I've done so far is change the fluid (only owned since last fall). When I jacked the blade up to hook the chain higher so I could move it, more fluid came out the bottom when the lift ram went down all the way. Seems like a seal inside has gone bad, but I thought I'd ask before I get in over my head trying to tear it apart. I really appreciate any help.. Jason.
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Not a hard repair Jason, there are three o'rings on the backside of the valve block to the the pump housing.
    You will need to get them from a Western dealer or you may be able to get them from a supply house that has differant sizes and thickness of o'rings in stock, two are the same size.
    :rolleyes: John.............
  3. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

on the bottom were your bolt that goes thru the power pack,that "BASE LUG" is bolted to the bottom of your hydraulic unit, and there is a large o-ring there also. just make sure the o-ring is not oozing out while your checking your other 3 o-rings. goodluck, pt.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Millsupply has parts for you. They are on Miles Rd, by Randal Park Mall just north of ( Warrensville Hts) ( cheap parts). Download the repair manual from the manufacturer of your plow. They will do you right, they have rebuild services for pumps too.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  5. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for all the help.. it turned out to be the large O-ring in the base lug. I replaced the 3 small rings on the side just to be safe as well. Filled wiith fresh fluid and it works great.. I really appreciate the help and hope I can return the favor someday.