1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western pump proplem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by C&D LANDSCAPING, Feb 8, 2003.

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

Ok here is the situation I have a western plow that has not been used for two years now, It worked fine when I stored it but now it won't angle or raise. The motor runs in all positions but there is no hydraulic action at all. If you pull the hoses of the cylinder a small amount of oil is being pumped and sounds like some air. The reservoir is full and I have bleed the system but still have no luck. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Check the filter in the pump, if it looks bad change it. Then flush out the entire system. Make sure you work the new fluid in good to get rid of any air in the system.
  3. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

loosen all packing nuts
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

check the filter on the pump (under the motor) and also check the pressure of the pump. My repair manual says the pressure is too low..remove pump, clean or replace filter, and adjust pressure. Turn the pressure reilef valve clockwise to increase pressure. The pressure relief valve is to the left of the filter. It says 1/4 TURN= approx 225PSI.
    Pumps should have the following pressures:

Sport Utility....1450-1650psi

Standard&Pro Plow.....1650-1850psi

Heavy Weight......1800-2000psi

Good Luck!!!:)
  5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

stuck valves sounds like thats if you don't hear them opening and closing.the pump will run but the pressure relief will kick in.i would flush out the fluid and change the filter.don't use ATF.sure it works the same but i feel your better off runing western or fisher oil there made for plow pumps not tranys.
  6. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I would clean all electrical conections really good. Just had a problem with my western after changing oil in it angled the plow left worked good then went to angle right pump motor would run but nothing would happen try to raise same thing cleaned the plug with all the smaller wires in it worked great after that just a thought. :drinkup: