1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western pump problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ryan03, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Ryan03

Ryan03 Junior Member

hello all, a freind of mine recently blew a angle hose on his unimount setup, after replacing the hose, the plow now drops very slow, and will not angle right, I think he got dirt in the pump and it is causing a checkball or a valve to malfunction. He has already tried replacing the left and right angle valve out of frustration and this solved nothing. He called me tonight to ask for my help, because I work on plow trucks for a living, only problem is all I work on at work are meyers, frink, wausau, and hinke. My first question is where can I find and print out an exploded veiw of pump online and or a flow schematic, second, where do you guys think I should begin to look for the problem. I should also mention that this is an electric solenoiod pump, not a cable style, and that all coils are magnetizing. I will go over to his place tomorrow night to attemp to sort out why it broke, and what he screwed up trying to fix it. any help would be greatly appreciated

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ask him what he did to hold it up after the hose broke. Also ask him how much he tried running the motor after the line broke.

Make sure he filled the fluid level properly.

3. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

I know this might sound silly for me to ask, but did you check the fluid level. If the line leaked then most likely there is air in the lines/pistons. You will need to fill the fluid reservoir with fluid and cycle the system up, down left, right to get the air out. If I'm not mistaken the system will self bleed. There is a fill "level" nut on the side of the reservoir and the fill plug is on the top. Also the schematics are available on the Western Plow website. Hope this helps.