1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western pump problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bucky Badger, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger Junior Member

I have a Western cable operated plow on my '89 F250. I had some problems last year with the plow working when it wanted to, and giving me fits at other times. Sometimes it would angle left/right with no problem, but now it angles quickly to the right, but not to the left...it basically crawls when angling to the left...I pulled the lines off the other day to see hopw much fluid is coming out of the valve body when I angle it. the lower hose had plenty of fluid coming out when I turned it to the right, but when I went to the left, the fluid just trickled out. I had the pump apart to clean everything out. The filter was ok, and I pulled the cushion valves and checked them also. I replaced the one on top of the valve body today, didn't do any good.

My ram for lifting the plow is also going up when I try to angle also....

I flushed the system the other day hoping that would help....no good....

Any ideas?

Thanks
    phil

2. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Pump problems

The question that comes to mind, is if the cables are adjusted properly. What I would do is remove the angling cable, and operate the arm by hand. If the plow now anges properly, the cable was either inserted too far in the pump body, or too little.

3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

And of course if you do try this process you want to be sure that you are not putting yourself in a pinch point.

Bruce

4. Bucky Badger

Hmmmm....I never gave that much thought, since there are no slack adjusters on the cables....

I'll give that a shot in the morning....

Thanks
    phil

5. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

re:

Phil, I'm betting that's the problem. My plow did the same thing last year, so I loosened up the set screw, and adjusted the cable end in the housing until both sides angled properly.

Take care,

Chris

6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

There should be a slack adjuster in the angle cable. Maybe that is your whole problem. When I hooked mine back up this year (I remove the whole thing in the summer months) I had the same problem but with minor adjusting to the angle cable it works fine now.

Bruce

7. Bucky Badger

That did the trick...

Duh....ya, my cable is all screwy...where the set screw holds the cable to the pump is all chewed up...

Works like a charm now....

<<sob>> now my alternator burned up from working on it so much...

Oh well, I wanted a higher output one anyway!!!

Thanks for the help!
    Phil