1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western pump motor just sudden suck all power.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Milwaukee, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well Plow 2 times in Night and morning due 9" snow. It western unimount 8'6 superdty plow.

What happened it was work fine until I trip on cement so bad at 5 mph it stop fast. Then pump not work no respond to joystick.

Try turn off Joystick then inspect connectors it look fine. Turn on joystick it work but suck too much power. Battery gauge on dashboard drop to - so bad and light would dim so bad when I use plow.

Did brush in motor end in wrong spot or broke magnet when hit cement? Will old style pump with cable's electric motor fit?

How can we test on motor how much amps it use to run?
  2. Milwaukee

bump thread again
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mil, you can get a clamp on DC ammeter from Sears for under a hundred bucks. I believe that motor should max out at about 175 amps against the pressure relief valve. Did you look under the hood and make sure all the heavy wiring looks OK? Can you pop another battery in there in case the current is damaged?
  4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I don't know if the old style motor would work-I think the only changes were in the valves but I am not sure. You could compare them side by side to see if there are any difference. (would require motor removal)

Are you positive that there is not a short somewhere else in the system such that when you activate power to the motor, it isn't just running straight to ground (bent terminal or something on the motor?) If you are positive that all wiring is good-then take the motor off and run it on a bench with jumper cables. If it still does not rotate-or spins slowly, etc then rebuild or replace the motor.
  5. Milwaukee

It was work great until I trip on cement.

Just look at electric box where coils in pump. It was loose not seal. I check terminal connector to coils they look fine and it have dielectric grease.

Well I am think about rebuilt old motor. Where can we get new brush kit? I will check with ESI here.

Will need wait for more info if old style like 1984 year western motor compare to 2002 Western motor
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

there are 2 different electric motors western used. the unimount has the newer style which was used on many cable operated pumps. older cable operated pumps have a different style motor that you can use, but you'd have to swap the motor and pump as one unit.
  7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Before you tear into the motor, i would bench test it. At least at a minimum disconnect the wires to the battery and run jumper cables directly to it. Have someone hold the control and see if it functions normally. That will rule out any short circuits or faults with the wiring that you may not have picked up on. At that point, if it still doesn't work, the motor is coming off anyway. Then bench test it with jumper cables connected directly to the battery. That will ensure that you are doing a motor rebuild that it actually needs, instead of wasting time and money if the problem isn't in the motor.