1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western pump malfunction

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kevin58145, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

Hey guys I've been lurking around the site for awhile reading up on things but now I have a problem I cant seem to figure out hopefully someone here can help...

I bought an old western cable operated pump and hooked it up today it went up fine came back down fine. when I tried left and right nothing motor runs but does not move the blade left or right, so I lowerd the blade and went to lift it again and only went up a few inches and when trying to do so my brother observed sparks coming from the lower mount, very odd could that be a ground problem, but it gets even more weird, it seems like when I try to lift the blade after the first couple of times when it worked fine now it draws so much current it darn near killed the truck is the motor going/gone bad? and whats causing it not to angle?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You have a electrical problem. I could be a ground problem. With a ground problem, electrical system becomes stupid.I would start looking around inside the engine compartment for any loose grounds, or wires on the vehicle harness. Also check the plow harness to see if you can find any loose, or broken wires hitting the frame....

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad ground for sure. remove, clean and reconnect all battery connections. check at the motor also.

4. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

Thanks a lot it was a bad ground cable, now that that's fixed how much should this plow motor draw I almost think the motor might be going bad cause when lifting or moving left to right it draws so much that the battery meter almost hits zero is this still a cable problem or am I looking at a new motor currently the ground is running to the truck frame I think I'm gonna move it to the battery tomorrow to see if that makes a difference has anyone had this problem and thanks again you guys are great!

5. twinman326

the power cable pos + and neg - cables should be hook to the battery. Might want to have your charging system check out.........

6. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

That was my first thought but I pulled out my scanners and ran a few test the battery is 700cca and tested at 694cca with a high state of health, and the alternator is putting out 14.73 volts loaded, scanner said no problems but like I said I grounded the pump to the truck frame cause I didn't have a long enough cable so in the morning I'll get it grounded right to the battery. I'm new to snow plowing but have some experience with hydraulics (use to be in to low riders) but when my pumps motors went bad they pretty much caught on fire...

7. twinman326

I myself have "dual batteries". I run the plow off the second battery. Some on here will say you don't have to.I find it much easier and less stress on the main battery. Also for good reasons, I would clean the terminals in both plow cables. I use battery cleaner, wait for a couple of minutes, use air to blow out the garbage. Then use electrical grease, and re-connect the cables. Also you might want to think about using "copper" ends on the power cables before attaching to the battery.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Those cable control plows require major juice (battery power) I just added a new alternator and the biggest interstate battery available due to current draw...
    Go for a battery with at least 850 CCA you'll need it .......

9. twinman326

how much for the battery?

10. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

I replaced the alt last year with a high output one. Still have the stock battery though and I do have a few other accesories running off the battery I may consider dual batteries

11. twinman326

I also install a high out put alt, and the batteries. I also change the charging wire from the alt to the battery

12. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

Well after cleaning inspecting everything I noticed that the positive post on the pump is is loose inside the pump it seems I don't wanna try to tighten it cause if its hoohed to a wire on the inside I don't wanna twist it off I think I need a new motor..

13. twinman326

that might be a possibility

14. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

Hey guys hows it going? I bought a new motor and control cables from work today they're S.A.M.S parts all NAPA deals with hope they work good.... I havent got to install this stuff yet, I'm on daddy duty tonight.... wife is busy with her friends from work... well gotta go i hear the baby lol..