1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western pump issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snutch, Oct 24, 2008.

1. snutch

snutch Junior Member

I removed the pump to replace the screen, put it back together and torqued bolts accordingly and noticed that the pump shaft is hard to move, loosen up the bolts a bit and it moves freely. when I first put things back together including torqued properly, the motor wouldn't turn the pump. Took things apart again and I don't have a clue on what to do.

Western Uni Pro

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The trick is to "sneak up" on each bolt a little at a time. If you tighten a single bolt more that another one it locks the pump up. Make sure the pump O-ring is in place as well.

3. snutch

snutch Junior Member

I did that to some extent, I'll try again. I took the pump apart, probably the wrong thing to do. When I put it back together I hand tightened the two bolts that holds the housing halfs and it started to lock up just from hand tightening. I suppose that if my efforts don't work out, I'll have to purchase a new pump.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes your not really suppose to disassemble the actual pump. If the alignment isn't perfect during re-assembly you'll run into the binding issues you found. No real reason to disassemble the pump anyway since there's no serviceable parts in it. If it makes the proper pressure its good, if it doesn't replace it.

5. snutch

snutch Junior Member

I replaced the pump, $147.00. Works fine now. Thanks to this site, I've found solutions to other issues I had with the plow.

Thank you.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear it's back up and running and the site was helpful. :salute: