1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western pump info please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Nov 8, 2002.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

I've used Meyers and Fisher plow rigs for years and just acquired my first Western setup and I am learning about it the hard way. I don't have any manual or info and so far have found the cable to the pump ram was broken right at the pump housing. I shortened the cable and it does raise and lower(lowers slowly though) but it does not move side to side. Is the ram valve related to the R/L valving?. I know it was working right and left before I worked on the lift/lower cable.
    I really need an overall theory of operation. I will buy a manual but is there any links to this info readily available. Maybe someone can give a short explanation of the two cable/valve system.
    Thanks, Rich in the Hudson Valley.

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

rich, i have a cable operated western on my ford, and last sesaon ( at 4:30 am) the plow wouldnt go up or down, then would only go left. turned out to be the raise/lower cable broke. i would tell you to change both cables. cheap insurance ( i paid $20 each ) just make sure you adjust them properly.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Rich, The lift/lower has to be centered in the case for the Right/Left to work properly. If you have the lift/lower installed with the set screw in the groove in the cable end and it still drops slow there is an adjustment for the drop. If you can't get a manual online from Western, Call me for a hard copy. I have several service guides avail for the Cable style pump. Jerre