1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pump Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mowerpan, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Alrite today I tested the pump and it doesn't work. It just sparks and does nothing. The positive is connected to the peg half way up the motor and the ground to the bolt on the bottom of the motor casing. I took the pump apart, cleaned it up, drained the fluid, and then tested just the motor alone. It just sparks again and does nothing. The motors pretty easy to turn by hand with a skrewdriver and I took the cap off and everything looked good. Brushes looked good and everything else was nice n pretty clean. Is there a way to test the other parts too while I'm at it. It's a Western cable pump. I took everything apart, the cable unit thing on the side, motor off, and most of the parts. Also for the motor now. What should I do ? Should I take the motor apart and check everything? I know how to rebuilt a starter which basically looks like the same thing when I glanced inside. But anything else I should know. I have the basic knowledge but am not and expert but I figure it's a good learning experience
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Sounds to me like the motor is bad - although, you said the brushes look good, that's what usually goes on these motors. It could, however be the windings in the motor that are bad too. At any rate, I'd go get another motor for $100 and pop that in - more than likely that well solve your problem.
  3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ya that was the plan but first I'm gonna take this one apart test the components and put it back together and hope it works. We have the growler and stuff in auto to test and rebuild starters so I should be able to tets it pretty good.