1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ProFlo2 Controller Schematics?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by derekbroerse, Nov 12, 2006.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Does anyone happen to have access to a schematic of the controller for a variable speed Western spreader?

My brother is an electronics engineer and figures he can fix it no problem, but it would certainly be a lot easier to trace out if he had a schematic.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. Get on the western website and get on the publications library page.. I just looked at it about and hour ago for my new pro flow 2!!!!!

3. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

PLEASE let us know what you find, Western had a known run of bad controllers. We are working with them to get two replaced under warranty this year as they just no longer work. Contacted Western today and was told a third party supplier that made the controller put in a bad part, and that they were replacing all the bad ones under warranty. I would be curious to know which part however! I bet its the diode on the low voltage input side of the board...just my guess..

Bill

4. Ripple

Ripple Member

We need more info on this problem!

I talked to dealer today and they said its 270 bucks for a new one!

No warranty because I bought it 9-7-2003.

Did you talk direct to Western?

5. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Sure did! They are covering controllers in certain lots, you need to be persistant and ask the dealer to call Western with your controller #, I bet if we set up a poll of ProFlo2 owners that have owned them for 2-3 years we will find many bad controllers. Hopefully it won't come to that....

Bill

6. derekbroerse

The machine I bought is supposed to be two seasons old, and on its second controller already... and its toast.

What is this, one per season?

If I could actually locate a schematic of the circuit board it should be a piece of cake to fix...

7. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Please post the number on the back of the controller and the color of the dot there as well.

They are replacing the old style with the new one, and this problem is why the unit was redesigned..

Bill

8. derekbroerse

The number on the backside is U0330, and the dot is a purply-blueish one.... :D

9. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Yep, same lot here, U0352, U343 purpleish blue dots..

Anyone see a pattern?

Bill

10. derekbroerse

So what should I do? The local western dealer probably knows nothing about it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk to them would it...

What a PITA.

11. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

They (your local dealer) should know about it, mine did..tell them the truth, two controllers in three years, known issue, you want an RMA # generated and the controller replaced.

When you call ask for that schematic, or call Western yourself and see if they will send you a copy...

Thier tech people have been pretty good to talk to.

Bill

12. Ripple

Ripple Member

My local dealer is such a jerk! Opps (western dealer) In Muncy PA.

I got an email from Western directly and they told me to go to dealer and get a new one so I did and when I got there the guy didn't wanna give it up untill I pressured him!

So my 25 month old controller was replaced free of charge at the dealer. The new style looks different!

13. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Yes, It is a much better design. If they didn't give you one I was going to have you call me. You are entitled to one. Glad it worked out for you, and hopefully these posts will help everyone else whose controllers fail this year. From what I understand it is just a matter of time not if...

Bill

14. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Derek, Now I now that they have a known problem,
    I will talk with my dealer and see what he can do. I'll let you know.

15. derekbroerse

Excellent, thank you. Let me know what they say. They'll probably want this one back, so I guess I would just ship it to you if that is the case.

16. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Derek,

Taked with the dealer today. He called his supplier, and his supplier said he has tried to send them in, but western kicks them back. I asked him if there was somebody at western that can be called. He is going to call western directly. I need the serial number off the spreader itself. Then we'll see what happens.

Everett

17. derekbroerse

The spreader's serial number is 204921, looks like it was manufactured in 2002...

The controller serial number is above, of course.

18. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Doesn't matter when it was made they will replace the controller. If you are unable to get any satisfaction from your dealer, contact Western direct, they will get on your dealer and advise them of the process should they not be aware of it. All dealers that sold the original Pro Flos will be aware of this issue by the end of the year, unfortunately some owners will find out when its going to really cost them...when they are trying to spread salt $$$ If you have any trouble PM me and I will tell you exactly what to do.

Western Direct # (414) 354-2310 press dealer option and then customer service option. The nice folks there will gladly help you.

Bill

I just had my two controllers (three years old) replaced under warranty as this is a known issue.

19. Ripple

Ripple Member

Thanks ENG50 for your continued input on this thread. It was your comments that saved me 280 bucks.

I just hope the new style holds up.

20. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Ripple, thank you, glad to help, and hope others benefit as well.

The ProFlo2 is an awesome spreader and its nice to see that Western is willing to support it.

We bought an extra controller just in case, kinda took for granted in the past that it would just work...but see now that without that controller, you are dead in the water. I didn't try it, but I wonder, if in a jam, if you could jump the large wires coming into the controller to make it work??

Bill