1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western prodigy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLK380, Sep 29, 2013.

1. TLK380

TLK380 Member

Hey guys what do you all think of the western prodigy plow?
    I saw it at the dealer the other day and it looks rugged.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Well, since it's been around since the early-mid 00's, it should have most of the bugs worked out.

3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I would prefer a wide out so you can windrow with one wing facing forward

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

did I just read what you just wrote that I really read it really really read that

5. birddseedd

works better. puts some forward inertia into the snow to the left of the truck.

6. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

uhh the prodigy would do the same as the wide out for windrow ?

7. birddseedd

when you angle the prodigy the leading wing goes straight which lets the snow fall off hte plow straight out. but if the wing was still angled it woudl push some of the snow forward. teh inertia adds up over the distance of a lot and makes a huge difference on hwo much snow is actually pushed up the pile.

8. xgiovannix12

whats the point of pushing it forward tho when your winddrowing ? Am i missing something or am I just a ****** tonight?

9. birddseedd

depends on what you are windrowing. roads/drives n such you want it off to the side as much as possible. but for lots you are going in a general forward motion. sideways yes. but the more sideways less forward the more work there is.

10. xgiovannix12

might as well use a pusher with a loader

11. birddseedd

is better if the cost can be justified. but thats a big ticket.

my insurance wont let me do bit lots anyway

12. Mark Oomkes

You're wrong.

13. birddseedd

no i'm not

14. Mark Oomkes

I own a Speed wing.

The leading edge does NOT go straight when angled, the trailing edge does.

15. birddseedd

you know what i meant

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I look forward to when you can give advice on things you've done. This is not a cheap shot, but you seem to offer opinion as fact too often.

17. birddseedd

I have plowed with straight blades, I have plowed with box blades. and i have watched enough v plows to know their limitations. you cannot windrow with a Vee. That is common knowledge. but you can windrow with a box blade. esspicialy one with a flare. I would never go without one on any lot.

Where a straight blade or winrowing V blade cannot push all of the snow it touches (trail off), a box blade pushes snow the blade does not touch. You end up chasing the snow and turning into it rather than falling behind to pickup the trail off.

18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can windrow with a vee. Just to clarify that statement.
    And its not windrowing with a "box" type plow just to clarify that as well

19. Mark Oomkes

But you were bidding an FAA parking lot. Gotcha.

Actually, I don't. I read what you stated and it was wrong.

You can windrow with a V blade, day in and day out. I had V blades for close to 15 years and windrowed with them. Yes, the hinge does slow it down, but it most certainly can be done.

What are you calling a box plow? Most people would consider a ProTech a box plow. Another term is a containment plow. Generally, they do not angle and are truly incapable of windrowing.

Not sure about anyone else, but I am confused by your terminology, because it does not make sense.

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

He does not make sense most of the time. All his research is based on a few 3 maybe years of plowing and all kinds of reading on how to plow. And him boasting about how his homemade wings are the best