1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Prodigy vs Wideout

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MyLawnCareLLC, Dec 2, 2013.

1. MyLawnCareLLC

MyLawnCareLLC Junior Member

I have ran a new Western Wideout on a friends truck this year for our first snow push. And I love it! I am curious if anyone here has plowed with the prodigy. Just curious how it performs, any issues, and just for comparison. I am looking to buy my first plow for my own company next season. Thanks in advance for your input
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wideout,,,xls,,,,,or blizzard 810. All of these are expanding plows. Love them. Some pple like the Speedwing/prodigy better, but its all in the owner. I like the hydraulic expanding abilitys
  3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

It really depends on how your going to use it. I started running and 810 10 years ago while plowing condos. It was great but I had issues with slide box springs and never liked how the wings would fold back while pulling back alot of snow. A few years later I got a s.w. and for 90 percent of the job it was equal. The biggest down fall was getting out to lock the wings for back draging. I would only do this in the condos to save time ,on a single drive just use it in the scoop, it back drags just fine. A plus though is that the wings are locked and don't move. They don't rely on spring tension to hold them while draging. One other down fall for the s.w. is squeezing through a bank drive thru to plow it. With the 810 closed and angled it would fit but the s.w. just wont. Not a big deal for me though. I liked the s.w. so much that we bought 2 new ones 2 years ago. I just like that they are simple to run for anyone in the truck and less to go wrong. All of my plows have been on f-350's so weight isn't a concern but saving a few pounds on the front end can't hurt. Now I know this was supposed to be about westerns so just use the word prodigy in place of s.w. and wideout, as 810 ! I have a friend with a wideout and being a blizzard guy I don't like the wing edges. I'd rather have all steel. I beleive the prodigy has the same all steel wings edges as the blizzard s.w. I can beef up steel edges to last longer but not urathane.