1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Prodigy Skidsteer model??????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 04hd, Aug 13, 2015.

1. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I didn't find what I was looking for with the search feature. Just wondering if any one has one/ ran one? I have access to one that was lightly used only last winter. (His own driveway and his small lot around small business 10 stalls) I went and looked at it and only way you know its used is looking close at cutting edge. I guess my concerns are the wings being spring loaded folding back when blade is full, running in "wide" straight blade with the pins in seems like a bit of a pain in the rear. THANKS FOR ANY INFO! Thumbs Up

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I would pass on it. Not being able to retract the wings, and operate them independently is a killer for me.

3. eludemann

eludemann Member

I have one, it has 2 seasons on it. One of my guys uses it on a lot along with a larger payloader. It is used to cut around curbs and the smaller areas. It will not work on speedbumps unless you pin the wings back, it will do the spring snap that you are describing and gouge the bump. We keep the feet on it, as it is hard to use the float when you are constantly lifting the plow. It will wear down the feet in a season, I think that is better than all new cutting edges. You also need to set the tilt(bucket) angle and leave it alone or you will wear down the wing edges fast.

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

In float you not only have the weight of the plow but the arms of skid also. You are probably adding 1500lbs to the plow.

5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If it's a great deal buy it. You should have no concerns running it on a skidsteer. The wings will not push back in Heavy snow they stay in place. You will need to run the arms down and the a frame will be level. I have a ss810 on my skidsteer and almost always leave it in scoop.I have speedeing on a truck since 06. With no problems.

6. eludemann

eludemann Member

I'm saying we don't use float, it takes too long to turn on on a Case loader and remember to use it by hitting the button every time. Even without float, it will puts a lot of weight on the plow. All in all, it works great for what we use it for. It is nice to be able to angle the plow when needed.

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

What size loader are you running it on?

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

half of the Prodigy's that we've sold were for skidsteers, and the people I heard back from loved them.
    Dieselss, I think you might have missed the skid steer part. Don't think anybody makes a power wing type blade for them. But on pickups, yes, we sell Wideouts like crazy, and hardly ever a Prodigy.

9. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Fireside what skid steer you got it on?? I have a new holland ls 185.b with truck snow tires. The tires are night and day difference. I have a berlon straight blade right now and I am really get serious about the prodigy to speed things up. He wants 2600 I haven't priced new yet. I really like plowing with my skid steer trailering all the time not so much but it's alot faster than the truck! I wish western made a skid steer v plow. Trip edge v with wings paired to a skid would be an awesome machine

10. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Nealybird I have a question for you on a V vs wideout?! Do you think that they will carry more snow than a v with wings? I was told by a snowplow guy at a well know plow place that an experienced operator in a v will take more snow than a wideout by not going to "full scoop". Rather moving wings slightly ahead. Guess I am just wondering what your feed back has been? In my application I don't know that I would ever give up my v and as for western never been happier!

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

For the sake of saying, my V is 11'4" with wings, I've owned two WO's, Vee wins.

12. 1olddogtwo

To answer ur question, I think they are made by pro-tech. Nothing really special about them.

13. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I'm a little confused............ What is made by pro tech? The prodigy? or that pro tech makes a skid steer v? :confused:

14. 1olddogtwo

My bad, reading skid steer and thinking pusher box, the pile driver I think it's call.

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Howdy! ... so you mean like an mvp+ with the optional wings added on? I'd say, yea, that's probably correct that it would carry a little more. Since you're taking an 8-1/2 v, not scooping very much, and adding about 10" on each side with the add on wings, compared to the Wideout which is like 9'4" in full scoop mode. So, I doubt it's a big difference, and both ways would have it's pro's and cons.

16. eludemann

eludemann Member

We have a 2011 Case sv185.

17. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I was just browsing around and realized I never got back to anyone as to what I decided. (big petpeeve of mine especially if trying to repair/fix something nice to know what worked) I did pass on that particular plow and instead bought a berlon 8 foot straight blade new for less money than the western. 2200 vs 2600 for used!! Fits my application very very well. Thought about a 9 or a 10 foot but trailering during storm I didn't think I wanted something that wide. I did use it about 2 weeks ago very fast especially at the 4 units (4 individual driveways at the end but one pad by building) Much easier than getting a truck around. I have winterforce tires for it but didn't have them on and it handled it well. Thanks for everyones input!!!!!