1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by '01_1500, Jun 12, 2009.

1. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Hey all. I'm having trouble with a Western Unimount Pro 7'6". The problem is, well, it won't do anything. At all. I have power going to the plow and even if i try and put 12v to the 2w, 3w and 4w coil it won't respond. all I get is a single click, then nothing. Does anybody have anywhere to start?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I take it you have power to the motor but its not doing anything? Do you have 12 volts to the motor, is the motor grounded back to the battery, do you hear the motor run?

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

X2. Take a set of jumper cables and ground the neg side (and to your neg batt terminal) and see what happens.

4. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Aright, I'll try that tomorrow. At this point I don't have anything happening at all when I try to move the plow with the controller or putting power to the coils like i mentioned earlier. Thanks guys.

5. '01_1500

'01_1500 Member

Alright, Nothing changed when I grounded the negative on the motor. I'm relatively new to fixing plows but I do have a lot of mechanical experience so hopefully this won't get the best of me. What should I move on to next? I'm fearing that maybe the motor burned out but hoping that it could be a solenoid problem?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use BOTH the positive and ground cables of the jumpers to power the motor directly. If it still doesn't run then the motor is the issue. If it does run then you either have a poor connection in the motor power harness or a bad under hood solenoid.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

i had the same problem, showed power to the motor but no movement, turned out to be the soleniod under the hood as B&B stated in his last post.