1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Problem, or Install Problem?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NCass31, Feb 23, 2008.

1. NCass31

NCass31 Member

last year I purchased an 8' Western Pro Plus and had it installed at the point of purchase.. we'll call them Vendor X from Stafford Springs, CT.
    A couple storms ago i realized that my sway bar was a bit loose. When i got back to the shop and got underneath, i saw that the sway bar was never re-attached to my frame after my plow was installed. there should be holes tapped and it should have been bolted, I think...but if it isn't connected to my frame...it does not work.
    well, last storm i was pushing a commercial lot, normal speed, lighter snow, not a heavy load. i finish my line, and raise my plow...doesn't go up as far as it used to, but it is maxed out. i lower the plow, but catch it before float, the hole mast/lights etc lunge forward, then come back a little. no big deal, just the weight/lights might need tightening, right?
    get back to the shop and find out the the weight of my plow has only minor contact points with truck frame.
    1 pivot point+weight/stress of plowing = bent truck frame.

long story short..this happen to anyone else or was i fooled by believing Vendor X knew what they were doing to install? this is a pretty established truck outfitter. what would you do?

smile.jpg

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Did your frame bend, or bumper bolts just loosen up?? On a Dodge of your year, 2 bolts each side both go through the frame. If you read the Western owners manual, it says to retighten all the bolts and nuts after the first 10 hours of use. I'm assuming this is an ultra mount. Picture is hard to make out on my computer.

3. NCass31

NCass31 Member

its an ultra mount..all the bolts are tight. the frame is visibly bent. i will try to get a picture of it today, got my hands full right now though

4. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

Yes this happened to me too. It also happened to the guy that was straightening my frame at the body shop. The bolts holding the sway bar and the rear of the mounting bracket break off or loosen and then let loose. This is a problem I have been dealing with the dealer and Western about. No success so far. I purchased the unit brand new 10-07 and had the dealer instal it on my 2001 Dodge 2500. So far I have broken 3 sets of bolts. I am the owner and driver and KNOW IT ISN'T ABUSE. My brother and I just came in from the shop after replacing those bolts yet again! I just read your post. I honestly think this is a design flaw with the Dodge mount. The anchor points on the rear of the mount are soft bolts. They keep telling me it is a concern with the crumple zones and air bag deployment. I am dissapointed in this product.

5. NCass31

NCass31 Member

when i saw how badly it had moved my bumper, my first concern was air bag deployment..thank god nothing has happened. since I saw this happening I haven't mounted the plow again. looking at it again, it just seems that the contact of the plow and truck frame needs to be extended, toughened up. it sucks because i am very happy with the plow and system, but the frame issue kills it. oh well, lesson learned.
    anyone want to buy a western 8' pro plus in CT/western mass area?

you mentioned the bolts holding the sway bar...my dealer never installed those....

6. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

The plow frame on my 2001 dodge goes along the frame of the truck underneath the bushing brackets for the swaybar. I think the design is flawed. Yours is the fourth Dodge frame that I have seen bent from the Western Ultra Mount frame. My fender was pushed back all the way to the passenger door. 2k later at the body shop it is on the road again. I think we are going to see a lot more of this.

7. NCass31

NCass31 Member

Update..

well, its been a little while but i have finally had the time to put the truck up and get a real good look at whats going on.

it seems that i was a bit optimistic before, and overlooked some very key points... those bolts that were previously stated to be "soft bolts."on my install the dealer decided that they didn't need to be there, at all.

my truck frame was never tapped for the 4 bolts at the rear of the plow frame..never.

there are clearly 4 holes for the bolts in the plow frame... 2 on either side. 1 of these sets are for where the sway bar/bushing etc attaches, the second hole is for an additional set. there are no existing holes on my truck frame.

looks like the dealer is going to have to stand tall for this one.

8. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I just went underneath and reinstalled the mount per manufacturers specifications.(I downloaded them off the web site) While under there I found that the mount bolts were loose again and one of the bolts through the sway bar bushing was partially sheared, again. I replaced the suspect bolts with the harder metric grade bolts and torqued them in the proper order (again according to the manual) and so far they are holding up. I have to replace the bushings in the swaybar in a few days and will inspect the whole thing once again. I just think this is engineered to much for crumple zones and less for longevity. To have this much messing around with torque sequence in order to make sure this thing doesn't do damage to your truck is not what I would call Professional Grade.