1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro vs Western Pro Plow Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NYAmerican, Jan 21, 2013.

1. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

I am trying to decide which plow is better, Western Pro plow or Western Pro Plow Plus.

I have a 2008 chevy silverado 2500hd Duramax diesel. Western quick match does not recommend me putting a pro plow plus on my truck cause it is to heavy 135lb heavier then THE PRO. Some say it would be ok if I put a leveling kit in my truck, really ? would it really be ok. Or should I just get a pro plow? I do not want to hurt my truck just for plowing.

I was really likeing the Pro Plow Plus for some reason, it just looks like a better plow.

I will be doing allot of back dragging, residential and some commercial.

Is the Pro Plow just as good. Sometimes I wonder why the hell did I by a diesel truck. I have got to pull the trigger by 1/23/13. Please help. Thank you

ussmileyflag

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

From what I've seen the pro plus is built a little bit stronger. I wouldn't worry about the weight too much. Western doesn't recommend putting anything of substance on a diesel for liability reasons. Jack up the torsion bars, timbrens, put about 800 lbs of ballast in the box and your ready to rock.

I don't care if its a gasser or a diesel, eventually front end parts are going to wear out. Its the nature of plowing.

I would also factor in the difference in price between what they want for a pro and pro plus. They basically do the same thing.

3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Regular cab, extended cab, or crew cab? Long or short bed?

Depends on what cab, bed, and front spring conbination, but Western certainly doesn't recommend a Pro Plus whatsoever on any of the diesel engines. Of course that's Western's recommendation.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Haven't really kept up with the times and the never ending brand bashing when they all break but has Chevy changed its front end design to use coil springs?

And nope not recommended but its like having a cuda with a hybrid setup on it.........what is the point

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

It wont matter what plow you put on It will hurt a truck somehow
    a snow plow degrades a truck value
    Snowplows are hard on joints and frames of trucks

6. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

so regardless what plow I put on my truck I should put a set of timbrens, jack up the torsion bars and put about 800 lbs of ballast in the box and then I might as well get the pro plow plus because it is a beefier plow and will out last a pro plow and the 135 lb difference is not going to make any difference on the truck anyway? So I guess the next question is, is it recommended that I should put a set of timbrens, jack up the torsion bars and put about 800 lbs of ballast in the box regardless I get a plow or not? will driving the truck with a plow on it with all that front end work down make any difference in the control, handling and feel of the truck? And sorry just one more question I really do not know what you mean by put about 800 lbs of ballast in the box? what is ballast ? and what do you mean by box?

7. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

I Have a 8 foot bed, reg cab and a snowplow prep

8. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Get the Pro Plus for sure. When you look at them side by side its like the difference between a 1500 and a 2500. Its way bigger, stronger, and can take a beating. Plus you can add the wings to it which works very very well. Im very happy with my Pro Plus never had any problems with it

9. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

To be honest, don't put timbrens on. Spend to extra money and get air bags for the front it with ride way better and you can change the height from and inch to a few inches. And go with a pro plus it heavier duty and if you want to in the future you can add pro plus wings if you want. You dont need a ballast weight. I have a f350 diesel with a 8 western pro plus and my truck doesnt raise up in the back and i still get good traction with my tires. A ballast is putting weight in the back of your truck so when the plow is in the air the back tires dont lift of the ground. People usually put salt or sand bags in the bed of the truck.

10. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

I just Look at a Pro Plow again, the ford dealerships or offering them with there trucks. The Pro Plow is scary looking, it looks like you are mainly pushing the snow with the strength of the bolts on the push plates. On that left and rite there is a 4" high x 1/2 " steel plate you are pushing on and the center bolt, god forbid you make a sharp rite in reverse quickly and smash the plow into a stupid something you dont care about you are not going plowing that day, If the same situation happens with a Pro Plow Plus you might have a chance to earn some cash to repair the thing you hit.

11. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

I think I am going with the Pro Plow Plus

12. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

My uncle has a pro plow it looks like it not strong but it is, he has hit pot hole and such, his plow is fine. The pro- plus is for alot heavier duty commercial snow plowing and also for the wings.

13. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Put a pro plus on my truck 3 years ago and very happy with it.
    The only thing gone wrong was one of my hoses letting go -(I think a rock kicked up and split it)and a bad plug this year.
    I found a steel cap embedded in the ground that stopped my truck cold going about 20 mph.
    Thought for sure my plus was busted, nope just fine.
    A buddy with a pro caught a curb during a blizzard and bent the frame on his -(not much but a slight curve)
    Go for the plus and get the wings, don't bother with the back blade attachment, It's a waste of money -(I wore mine out in just one season)

14. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

I just discovered a broken transmission line where the plow mounts would connect to the frame so I will not be buying the plow today. Thanks for all the replies, I have decided on the pro plow plus because my truck is a 2500 diesel and the diesel is so heave on the front end that the less weight I carry the better, it would be way better if I do not plow with this truck at all, it is my new truck it has 55000 miles on it. So I think for now I will get the lighter plow and make some money to get through the winter then when things are good in the summer I will buy a used gas truck and get the Pro Plus and plow with that next year and keep my diesel on the side for emergency situations.

15. NYAmerican

NYAmerican Junior Member
    from NY

ussmileyflag

Thanks Again