1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Poly or Pro Steel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bchlawns, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hi Pros,
    I finally oredered my truck and now i have been trying to either get a steel or a poly Western. I cant seem to make up my mind. I will be plowing commcercial and residential. Some people tell me poly and others say steel. I know this is a preference, but i still would appreciate some advice from the other pros on what they prefer and what might be better in situations. My brother plowed for a guy for years and he used all poly and found out they didnt last too long becasue the owner was very hard on his equipment. I know snow removal is somewhat and sometimes hard on equipment, but this guy just tore his stuff up so then he went to steel. When you guys have time could you please tell me how you feel about this to help me better make my decision. Thanks for your time
    Bchlawns

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would get a stee; blade cant see paying for poly and they say you dont have to pait or snow dosent stick bs i can spray my blade down with silcone and get the same effect also i think they should make there blades out of ss because that truly doesn't corrode

3. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

true chris thanks yeh i havent decided totally yet, but i know my brother tells me to get a steel blade. Thanks
    Bchlawns

4. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

how do u like your 8' Western Ultra moutn Pro Plow? That is the exact plow and set up that it hink i am getting? Goods and ne bads to it?
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I really like the ulra mount im gonna get another

6. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

The Ultramount is a no brainer. I recently changed my fleet from Meyer to Western. All of my Meyers were either steel or poly. Every last steel I had, the mold boards were bent. The polys took a hell of a lot more abuse; however, the only true advantage to a poly (the main reason they were designed) is the harmonics that are created in the board as it travels across surfaces such as asphalt and concrete. This is especially vital in areas of the Country and up North where the temperatures get extremely cold.
    The steel boards are more likely to fail because of the combination of harmonics and the extreme cold temperature.

The whole reason I converted to Western was because of their Pro Plus Plow. There is no plow in its class that is as beefy, strong, and solid as this one. Western FINALLY made a plow for heavy duty commercial applications for medium duty vehicles. Here is an 8'6" with wings (making it 9') on an F350. Depending on your vehicle and make-up, I would seriously look at the pro plus. You bend that joker, you have no business plowing snow.

108_0812small.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I run an 8' ultramount pro steel blade on my 03 dodge, no complaints. It goes on and off like butter. I plow commercial and run it pretty hard, not abusive, it gets used. We do a few 2 mile roads and some major size parking decks. I just wish it had the 1/2 inch cutting edge. As far as poly blades you cannot run pro-wings on these blades, so if you might have a need for them then steel is it for you.
    Todd

8. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

How much extra do they pro- wings cost beyond the price of the blade. Would u recomend getting the pro- wings right off the bat when i buy the blade. I would assume that they would help a lot so i should get them. Yeh if u could let me know the price of them and if u recomend them right off the bat.
    Thanks
    Bchlawns

9. Heron Cove PM

10. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

WOW Heron Cove, that is an awesome set up!!!!!!! Thanks for taking the time to get me to those posts to see. Wow yeh the wings arent too bad at $325.00. I assume they will make clean up a lot easier and faster like u said. I want to go with just an 8' Pro steel plow. I wonder what the price difference is between the Pro and the Pro Plus do u have ne idea. I got a price 2 weeks ago of $3,625.00 installed for the 8" Pro steel plow. I wonder how much for it would be for the plus? Also do u like the hand controller. I have heard many guys got them becasue they are fairly new and tried it and didnt like the hand controller so they went back to the joy stick. But my one buddy has one and he said it takes a little time to get use to, but after that he said it a lot easier than the joy stick. He loves his. I saw in one of your posts that something asked you about leaving the wings on all the time. U said that you plow just with the straight blade and then put the wings on for clean up is that correct. I assume the wings just go on with a pin? Thanks for you time and advice
    Bchlawns

11. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Also do you think i need to put Timbrens on when i get my new truck?
    Thanks

12. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

One thing i didnt get and i should have now that i think about it is an 8' bed on my new truck in case i want to put a dump box in. But i quess and still can go with the short dump box in the bed. Is that possible i think they make dump boxes for beds in the 6.5?

13. Heron Cove PM

Thanks and you are welcome that's what this site is all about.

I am not sure the price difference between the 2 plows, but I do know you can only get the wings on the Plus.

I'm not sure about the prices in your area. I got everything except the back drag edge. The whole set up with Timbrens for around $4500.00-$4600.00.

The hand controller is no big deal for me. I had Meyers for years with the touch pad. I was one of the first guys around here to just leave the touch pad on the seat and use it like a hand controller. It's much easier. Now everyone seems to us it this way. I have seen guys on here who have center consoles and who have made nice set ups with joy sticks, but I don't and I keep the thing in my hand even to shift the trans.

Yes the wings just pin on. There are plenty of posts about them - try a search. I was taking them off and that is when I discovered that the two different cutting edges don't wear the same. Now they just stay on.

Again, I don't know what truck set up you have, but yes I would recommend the Timbrens. I love them. Some think they are a waste of money. With the Timbrens and the 450 springs, MY truck is now set up right and the 1000 or so lbs plow doesn't affect it at all. Again, do a search - plenty of info. Put my I.D. name as the search field to to right after going into search. I have talked this all most to death on this site. ;)

Same with the dump insert. Check all my posts. I have the TruckCraft with the spreader and guess what? YOU ARE IN LUCK. They make a shorty insert and the spreader WILL fit it. Place the cursor on my signature lines - there are links.

14. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I've had both and have the Poly now. I just wish that they (Western) made a 9'0" Poly blade. The Poly has been great and is more durable to the elements than the steel.

western plow.jpg

15. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

SBR,
    Thanks, Yeh i keep hearing everyones different views on the Steel vs. Poly. I keep thinking and still cant make a decision. So you had a steel and you went to the poly and love it? Yeh that is one good thing about the poly it looks better and deals with the hrash weather for a lot longer than the steel. Should i even think or believe that a poly plow will ever break or crack. I quess that is the only reason i would stay away from it. I know there may be a small chance to get stuck on something and break a piece of or get a crack but i have not heard of that happening very often. What do u think and how much do u plow with your poly and have u had ne troubles like this?
    Thanks for your time and advice
    Bchlawns

16. sbrennan007

I've always been one to say "never say never", but I'll tell you that I don't think you could break a Poly plow if you tried.

I do all commercial plowing and have actually dented steel plows before. The Poly's are 3/8" thick ploy and are very durable.

I too once thought that the steel was the way to go (and they are still good plows) but after having both, I wouldn't have anything other than the poly.

I like keeping my equipment in tip top shape and clean. With the poly, no more painting every year! :drinkup:

Go and take a look at one, your not going to be breaking a ploy plow anytime soon.

17. sbrennan007

Side view on my '03 Chevy 2500HD.
    You can see how thick the mold board actually is.

plow1.jpg

18. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanks man, thats a nice truck u got, is that a chevy 2500HD. U got a 6.0L in it? Yeh i dont know i will have to decide here soon. Yeh i dont want to have to paint it every year and have to worry about it looking like crap all the time too. Do u have snow tires on your truck or are those factory or do you use snow tired for plowing. I got the upgrade tired on my new truck that is coming and everyone said those will be fine for plowing. If not i will have to get some but it hough i would try them first. Thanks for your advice
    Bchlawns

19. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Also how is the poly vs. steel when back dragging. I heard poly does not back drag as good at steel does. Is that true?

20. sbrennan007

The Chevy 2500HD is all stock with the more aggresive tread tires.

As for backdragging with the poly, I have found it to be the same as with the steel plow.

Remember, you still have the same steel cutting edge on the bottom, poly or steel. The ploy blades are also a little heavier than the same size steel ones, so they will actually be a little better for back dragging.

I'd never switch back from the poly to the steel. I just wish Western made a 9'0" poly plow, but the 8'0" plow moves a good amount of snow as well.

Go with the ploy, you will be glad you did years down the road!