1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro plus wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Easygn, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

I purchased a new Western 7.5 Pro Plus this year with the new pro hang on wings from Western. The second snow I folded both the wings windrowing. The dealer photographed the plow and wings and sent them off to Western. I was told I hit something hard; that is why they folded. I have been plowing a long time and this is the first time I had something like this happen. So much for the two year warr.

Has anyone else had problems with wings like this? If I would have known these things were so cheap and flimsy I would have purchased the wide out instead! :yow!:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. HOOBS PRO PLUS

HOOBS PRO PLUS Member
    from NW PA

I've bent the pins but they still work fine. Could you post some pics. I would like to see what I'm possibly in for we have two sets.

3. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

I have straightened them back using hydro "Jaws". The failure I had was in the double arm coming back around to the back pin. The side pins held fine but bent the edge of the plow itself when the wing came back. They went from 22 degrees forward to 15 degrees or so backward. The reason I know I didn't hit anything is that I was following my partner and his Blizzard 810 did fine in front of me and then on his pass after I pulled off to see what happened. If I make contact with something I would expect the rubber to fail and trip before the structural failure happen.

I guess the message I would like to pass on is that for heavy snows I would use a lot of caution or suffer the same as I have. These are awesome time savers for the majority of the snows we get. Definitely not "Pro" quality

I will work on the pictures and post later today

4. HOOBS PRO PLUS

HOOBS PRO PLUS Member
    from NW PA

The Plow we just bought had the cutting edge sheared completly off about 2 inchs down. The owner said he hit something hard enough to trip the plow and shear it off but the wing is in perfect condition.

5. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

my wings have been fine. i have used them every snow all year not a bend to be found. i have hit parking curbs pushed almost 2 feet of wet snow. even threw my blade into the air when i hit a raised drain in a parking lot. they have proven to be bullet proof for me.

6. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

See I was wondering if anyone else had these problems. Thanks for lettng me know. These things aren't cheap, what is worse is after 2 snow falls they were wrecked.

7. Easygn

Easygn Junior Member

Follow up

Made contact with a sidewalk edge. Stopped the truck on a dime. The blade never tripped. It sheared off the soft bolts on the mount and bent the frame on a Dodge 2500 Quad cab. The more I thought about it the plow hasn't tripped since I had it installed. I contacted the representative from Western last Friday. They were going to adress the issue and contact me. Still haven't heard from anyone. Frustrated and dissappointed in the Customer service. I have been plowing for 20 years. This is the first problem I have ever had with a Western plow. I am just getting tired of the dealer telling me I am abusing this thing. Hopefully the Body shop can get it fixed soon. :realmad: