1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Plus Wing Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NewLawn, Jan 17, 2011.

1. NewLawn

NewLawn Junior Member

Just bought wings for my 8.5' Pro Plus. Real pricey, but I'm hoping they shave some time off my plow times. After installing them today, there is a 1.5" gap between the wings cutting edge and the plow cutting edge. So when I lower the plow my blade is 1.5" off the ground being held up by the wings.

I know that my edge on my plow is a year old with some wear, but what should i do to remedy this? I don't want to drop another $200 on a plow cutting edge when mine still has plenty of life left.

Has anyone dealt with this?

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

your cutting edge is worn, unless you wanna cut the rubber on the wings, which i doubt you want to.. get a new cutting edge..they are 6" new..They will have tons of time of your route/ cleanup.BTW whered you buy your set at? i got mine at redsgarage.com for 460+shipping...

3. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

you can take a grinder to the wing edges or replace the cutting edge. i would replace the cutting edge. the wing edges are 75 a side i would not cut any off.

4. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

we had this problem to the wings and the blade have to be brand new to wear even
    a cutting edge is 78.99 at angelos in michigan

5. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I would change the cutting edge. if it were a 1/4 inch or so I wold cut the rubber. I will never run one of my plows without wings. You should make that money back right away but I like the lack of spillover the best.

6. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I have the same problem, just got new wings and the cutting edge on the plow is one month old. There's 1/2" of daylight under the plow cutting edge. Will the rubber edges on the wings just wear down quickly to match the plow cutting edge? That's what I'm hoping. Since I may not use the wings on every job, the plow edge will always wear more than the wing edges.

7. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

We got the wings with 2 of our plows. I used them when I plowed and they worked great. Here is the kicker, you need to either leave them on ALL the time so they wear the same as the metal edge, or never use them.

When I tried to put them on after one or two pushes without them, all they did was chatter since the edges were uneven.

Here is an idea, check the prices at your local welding shop for them to make you a new cutting edge. You will have to take your current one in so they can get the bolt holes right but we have done that with Fishers and had them make them longer to get more wear out of them.

8. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Cut 1/2" off the rubber with sawzall. Scrapes nice & clean now. Wings are on for good now, I'll never take 'em off.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Math wasn't your strong suit in school was it? 1.5 minus .5 = 1Thumbs Up Buy a new edge

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Seriously? I dont mean to sound like a dick but it seems like you have two obvious choices. Cut the expensive new pieces of rubber on your wings or just get a new cutting edge. You current cutting edge is probably 40-50% worn so just replace it and maybe try selling it on CL. Someone probably needs one. I dont understand how this is a surprise only after you installed the wings. It wasnt obvious to you before the install that this would be an issue?

Also, Mr. Jon... how would shaving .5" off the rubber take care of a 1.5" gap?

I dont know how the Western wing rubber mounts on to the wing but is it possible to oval the holes in the rubber out and slide them up? Really not gaining much with that though because when you replace your edge you wont be able to drop the rubber down far enough to compensate for it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  11. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

I believe he was referring to his post about HIS plow having a 1/2" gap between the rubber and metal. He was saying that HE cut a 1/2" off and HIS works fine now.

12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Ahh that makes sense :D

13. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

drop it down and drive, it will wear down to where you need it.

14. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Thanks, you beat me to it!

15. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

That's what I was hoping but after 1.5 hrs of plowing, the rubber did not wear down enough and I couldn't stand not scraping clean.

16. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

it will if you do it on dry pavement.