1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Plus - Too big for a Gas F-250?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wmcaidan, Nov 9, 2015.

1. wmcaidan

wmcaidan Junior Member

Howdy all,
    First post to the forums.
    Been doing snow removal for HOA's in North Lake Tahoe for 12 years. When I took over an existing business we were running all Western plows, so we've just kind of stuck with that. We have secondary contractors with loaders, loader mounted blowers (!), skid steer mounted blowers, Holders, etc. that come in and build ramps, pile, widen, etc before you ask how we manage with blades here. We primarily open things up to get the second homeowners off to the ski slopes and out of the way, and plow the light 10" storms.

My question is this: we've got a 2005 F-250 that is currently running a 8' Western UniMount with everybody's favorite converter plate. When we bought the truck we had to put an Ultramount kit on it for obvious reasons. We've got a Dodge 2500 that started out with this setup before the Ford came along, and scored a 8' Pro for that which had almost never been used for $4k. I've now got the opportunity to get a 8'6" ProPlus for the Ford, also for $4k, same condition. The specs show it weighing a good 150# more than the Pro. So I guess the question is, with proper ballast, I'm going to be OK with a setup like this, or do you think it's too big/Heavy for the truck? We plan on doing Timbrens up front. It's a good deal for a UltraMount, and my back can't handle dealing with the conversion plate setup and all the vodoo it takes to get that off and on anymore. Plus it's for my truck, and you might say I'm a little jealous of my employee with the ultramount Pro.

Thanks in advance, and hello to you all.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You can run a bigger plow if u want.

And welcome to Plowsite, number one rated website on this side of the Milkyway

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

youll be fine.
    if you really wanted, you could just get a set of heavier springs and be done with it.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

"Dance with the girl you brought", or, use what you got. Your truck will hold it fine.

5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Youll be fine, my 2000 f250 with 4600 rated front end I believe it is holds my 8ft pro plus just find. It hardly sags at all, less than a quarter inch.

6. wmcaidan

wmcaidan Junior Member

Thanks all. Part of the issue was I accidentally put the wrong front axle in the calculator, which resulted in it telling me I was going to need 1100# of ballast, so I got a little worried. With the correct front axle everything looks fine. Here's to never dealing with the converter plate again!

7. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

I run 04 f250 with an 8-6 fisher with no problem at all.

8. Backwell

Backwell Junior Member

I have an f250 also with a 9ft 2inch v blade and my springs are just about squooshed as far as they can be.
    [​IMG]

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Well, why would you continue running that and not do something with your front end? Sounds just plain foolish to me.

10. Backwell

Backwell Junior Member

Oh, I just put it on last night lol. I am ordering new springs.

11. wmcaidan

wmcaidan Junior Member

Update: Thanks for the info everyone, I picked up the blade from the guy Sunday and got to put it right to work Sunday night with the 4 light inches we got here. Right out of the gate it's WAY better than the old unimount/conversion plate setup. The truck sits higher in the front end with less sag, and I'd attribute this to the fact that the Pro Plus sits much closer to the front bumper when raised. However, the turn signals are reversed. I'd assume this is a simple fix like swapping the wiring harness to the headlamps. If anyone has any input into that it would be great. The headlamps are the new style as opposed to the old sealed beams, and they're a joy to drive with.

12. dieselss

There's an orientation plug that you need to turn 90degrees. 2 wires.

13. wmcaidan

wmcaidan Junior Member

Where would I look for that? On the plow itself or back where we've got the module mounted under the hood?

14. dieselss

Was just looking at my screen shots for the picture. It's by the Iso

Screenshot_2015-11-17-12-23-59.jpg