1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Plus Locking up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by CK82, Nov 20, 2010.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Hey guys, I have a Western Pro Plus. The past two seasons, periodically (Seems to mainly be at colder temps) while pressing left on the handheld joystick the plow goes up. If I unplug the controller plug it back in 9 times out of 10 it will function properly. I've switched controllers to a new one, so I dont think that is it.

Could it be some valve in the pump or something? I'm not very familar with plow pumps. Please give some of your expertise.

-Chris

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The S2 valve isn't being shifted. When it acts up you need to check for magnetism on the S2 coil to see if it has it, if it does but still raises instead of angling left it's a sticking S2 valve. If it doesn't have it then it's an electrical issue such as a poor connection at the grill or controller connector.

3. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thank you for your response. Since I can unplug the controller and turn then turn it on and it usually works it could be electrical? I will more than likely need to take the plow in as I dont know much past a fluid change on the unit.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure could be as I mentioned. Could just be a poor connection at the controller plug or a broken wire on the controller side of the cable but it can be in the controller itself too. Swapping another controller on would be the quickest way to diagnose those so that will likely be the first thing they do if you take it in.

5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

B&B, Thanks for your help! I did replace the controller once before it seemed to still lock up sometimes. It only happens every so often and it seems to do so when its colder out. Hmm. I will do some more research and talk to my local guys.

Thanks again.