1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Plus....Commercial grade my @$$

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PlowKid150, Feb 26, 2007.

1. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I guess my plow was built on a friday afternoon at beer30...... we here in the philly area are strapped for snow as it is, then when it finally comes down, my one season old Western 8.5 pro plus deicides to give me problems. The 'tabs' i will call them that are welded to the big black pipe behind the blade, where the 4 trip springs and slam back rams mount to, are all supposed to be welded to the pipe behind the blade..... i guess the jackass who welded up my plow tack welded the 3 on the left side on, but just so happened to forget to run the weld all the way down the pieces to secure them correctly.... so long story short, i hit something plowing, and 3 tabs snapped off the damn thing, losing 2 springs and a ram. I spend hours in my shop fabricating new 1/4'' pieces then welding them to the plow. This plow was like 4500 bucks and is one season old. I feel like ripping western a New one. What would you guys do to rectify this situation with western?

2. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

If it's only a year old its still under warranty. I would say take it back tell them you want a new power bar and quad. It's covered for 2 years. Tell them you want reimbursed for your time. We all know there not going to pay you but it's worth a shot. I know the first year they had problems with that same thing but it was corrected 4 years ago.

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a 9' plow plus and on the last storm a weld on the power bar (i think)broke.Its a main weld that holds the bracket on that has the big main bolt running though it.

Sorry for my no technical stuff!

After looking at the broke weld, it looks like the barly had any metal penetration, i probably could have done a better job

Well $100 at the welders and $350 for two new cylinders that got destroyed and i back in business again!

*uck western and there heavy duty plow.

4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Things happen, like anything else it's a piece of equipment that can break just like anything else.

Is is frustrating, YES! Just like my '07 F250 that had the rear end sieze up at 92 miles and one day old. Think how you'd feel driving along at 40MPH and your rear end locks up SOLID. :realmad:

I personally have had great luck with Western Plows. I'd say take it back to them, this is why there is a 2 Winter Warrenty on them.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Ya, I guess you guys ARE the lucky ones. I have western MVP on my Dodge 1 ton. I have hit some stuff pretty damn hard. I think my frame is even bent a little in front of the axle on the right front but the plow is fine. i hit something in the roadway plowing, just yesterday and the plow flipped up in the air. it still works fine.
    I will say Westerns are NOT as strong/ as good of a plow as they once where but, i think it is due in part to manufacturerers being required to come up w/ unimount designs by our fine government! it is inherently as flawed system. Once again our government sticking their nose into our business.
    Take the plow back, show the problems to the dealer and try to get results. It is under warranty isn't it?

6. snowhappy

snowhappy Member

hey paps great picture i like it nice equipment