1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Plus Blown Angle Cylinder Drifting Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jmainel1, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jmainel1

jmainel1 Junior Member

Looking for some help here to see if anyone else has had the same problem...I got an 8' Western Pro Plus last October new with my 2008 Ford F350 Diesel. I used it 2x last year and the angle cylinder blew. It actually CRACKED the whole length of the cylinder body! Ever since I picked up the plow it had an issue with 'drifting'. It kept creeping to the left side, and after changing the angle after a minute or two the plow would move freely 3-6 inches. I called the installer 2x with the problem, they said to bleed it, I probably got air in the system. So I did, and NOTHING, still had the problem. So I called another dealer closer to my house, they told me to do the same thing. Did it again, still NOTHING. Then the cylinder blew...$340 and a new angle cyclinder (EVEN UNDER WARRANTY) later I still have the same problem, now the dealer says I got a bad valve body which will cost $800 alone for the part! This is ridiculous, what is the sense of having check valves and pressure relief valves when the whole plow can blow up? Of course they say I "over abused" the plow and it all stems from the blown cylinder. Funny thing was I was plowing STRAIGHT when it happened, GO FIGURE...this is my 3rd new Western/Fisher plow since 1999 and never had this problem before...but I am so frustrated that I paid $5k for this thing and now I'll have another $1500 into it not including all the down time and having to pay others to cover my route...only used it 6x total, RIDICULOUS...I have heard other complaints about relief valves being set too low and installers not adjusting them before sending them out causing this problem, need help, please if anyone has had this problem please reply cause I am going after Western on this...

:realmad:

:gunsfiring:

Attached Files:

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

sounds like a bad dealer. i would change your angle cartridges on the valve body. there very easy to change. you take the plastic cover off (2 studs 1/4 socket) the two catridges all the way to the right may be leaking causing your cylinder to compress. the cartridge closes to the plow is the lift cylnder so that can stay. i just had to change my lift cartridge because it slowly dropped. by the way the cartridges are cheaper if you go through fisher (about 60 bucks each)

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did the plow drift before the cyl blew? did your shop check the relief settings? if not why?

4. mbf7710

mbf7710 Junior Member

Western angle cylinder explodes

We had 2 cylinders blow on our 9ft.western Pro-Plus,one right and next storm the left, driver said he hit curb at 10 mph. we were told to adjust the pressure relief to 1700 psi,we were also told to change the hoses to 3/8, we were also told it happens because there are no stops on the plow, have not tried it again, will probably blow another cylinder next storm,getting costly!!!!!!!!! anybody have any other ideals?