1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Plow Unimount No Lift / Angle. Loss of Power

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Massimo, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Massimo

Massimo Junior Member

Hi. I have an older Western Pro Plow Unimount and just started to have this problem this year. It was intermittent, now it is constant.

When I lower the plow it lowers properly. When I raise or angle it, the LED light on the handheld controller dims and the plow does not respond. Occasionally the light will turn off completely and I will lose all power to the plow. I have to wait a while with the truck off for it to turn back on. I noticed today that one of the Siemens vf4-15f11-c01 relays was clicking very fast, almost buzzing. I'm thinking that the relay is bad so I will buy another one today (assuming I can find one). I have replaced the solenoid and checked all wiring connections including verifying the ground. Anything else you can think of that I should try?

Thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck where your controller power is plugged in.under the dash, also the controller fuse has been an issue for some of our trucks in the past so I just replaced the glass holder to a mini blade style
    Is it a 5 pin relay your talking about?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Throw in the year, make, model truck. Some have common failures.

4. Massimo

Massimo Junior Member

2002 Chevy Silverado K1500. Never seen a garage, so rust is an issue.

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

A buzzing relay can be pointing to bad grounds. Clean them all. The relays only work the head lamps. You need to get in there with a test light, and a volt meter. Look for voltage drops.

6. Massimo

Massimo Junior Member

Fixed.

A bad ground or solenoid was my first instinct. The solenoid was replaced so it rules that out. I was out there messing with it and it just made sense that it was a bad ground so I checked that they were all tight and not corroded. Then I had the brilliant idea of spinning the ground around the battery post. It worked. There must have been corrosion between the post and connector. Tomorrow I will take it off and clean it properly.

Thank you all for your help and attention. It is truly appreciated!

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

And "Bad Ground for $800" wins it again!

8. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I will take bad ground for $600, use a meter not a test light

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What is: "An easy way to find the missing link in the connection?"

Bad ground for $400 please