1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western pro plow controller keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by lowrider57, Dec 10, 2013.

1. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

I have a yr old Western Pro Plow and hand held controller keeps turning off when I angle blade left or right and sometime when I try and go up.Shuts off and most times when I turn it back on it's ok,Doesn't do it every time but most of the time. Any ideas please!!

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

did you clean the connections on the terminals and grease them with dielectric grease and grease and clean the plugs both truck/plow side . or there maybe a short somewere truck side . take a small wire brush and clean all connections and see what happens from there.

3. lowrider57

lowrider57 Member

Western hand controler shuts off

Yes I cleaned all connections and re-greased them checked all wires and they all seem to be in harness that Western installed,any more ideas? Thanks for the help.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

A one year old plow suggests you have the two plug multiplex system. There are several things that would make the plow go off. First check the ignition feed wire. Every time the controller looses ignition power is goes off so follow the controller wire back about a foot or two past the controller plug. You will see a single red wire leave the main cable and go off to the fuse box or some other ignition power source. Examin the connection and make sure it is solid. Often people will just pull a fuse and stuff the wire in the hole and then push the fuse back in. Not cool, get a proper wire tap to make a secure connection to the fuse. Next check the ground interconnect plug at the isolation module. Look where the three plugs go into the isolation module and you will see a single black wire with an orange tracer. The wire connects two harnesses with a black plastic connector. Check that this is clean and making a good connection. This plug is in the path that the activation power takes to get to ground. If it is not reliable it will do the same as the ignition. Now check the fuses at the isolation module. There are two right there in the same spot by that ground plug. They are enclosed in a black plastic box with four wires going to it. Pull the cover off and make sure the two fuses are clean and pushed firmly into their sockets. Finally follow the two main wires from the battery to where they enter the sheathing. You will see a little four conductor plug coming from this cable set just a bit down the line from the battery posts. Check that plug and ensure all four connector pins are clean and securely connected. The common ground goes through there too. The last thing to check is the grill plug with the small pins. This is the light harness plug. In this plug, on the plow side is a loop back wire. When the plow is plugged in power goes through the plug, loops around and goes right back to the truck and follows that ground circuit that you already checked. If this plug is damaged or the pins are corroded then the truck thinks you have disconnected the plow and will shut off. Hope that helps.