1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro on '04 Dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duckman1, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Duckman1

Duckman1 Junior Member

Need some help ASAP. I have a Western dealer that will sell me a 7.5 Pro Plow with Back Drag Edge and Wings for $3600.00 C&C. It sounds like a good price to me especially this time of year.

This includes Ultra mount, cab commander and the new isolation module.

Looking through the Western website I found installation instructions for the mount and the iso. module. It does not look OVERLY difficult to me. However, diagrams can be misleading.

If anyone has any experience installing this unit can you give me an idea how difficult it was. I am mechanically inclined, have experience with vehicle wiring (owned a car stereo sales and install joint in a past life) and want desperately to save the $600.00 extra it would cost me to buy and have installed locally.

This will be going on a diesel equiped truck.

BTW... I would have posted this on the Dodge site but this is read by more of you.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The mount on a diesel is a PITA but can be done. It will easily take two people to do the mount, one to tug and pull on the intercooler and on to try and get the bumper bolts out and back in. If you do it your self, do the wiring for the headlights and marker/turns while you have the bumper off. Makes it alot eaier to get headlight assy out.

There are 3 of us doing installs at the shop im at and i can usually stick one of the other two with the diesels, keeps me entertained watching them.
  3. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

i installed my own, and the harness had all plugs, only 3 splices which was ok for me.
    the isolation module is all numbered and so is the harness.
    i got the joystick and used a fuse tap which was real easy too.
    All the help i got from guys here.
    you're in the right place
  4. Duckman1

Duckman1 Junior Member

This is absolutely the right place to be! I have learned a lot in the past few weeks.

I know this will be a PITA but... where doth the PITA lie? I think the wiring will be a breeze for the most part. I guess I read the wiring diagram correctly. I only saw three splices. That leaves the removal of the bumper the main issue. I assume two or three guys with automotive experience and the right tools can do it.

Do you remove the air dam or do you notch it?
    What about tow hooks... is there any way possible to keep them? I ordered the things for a reason and don't want to loose them unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Besides, they look pretty cool!

Thanks for the help.

5. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Take the air dam off without notching. Save it and reinstall when you sell the truck or reinstall for the non-plowing time. There is plenty of room to do this when you take the western horns off for the season
  6. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

ive got an 03 gmc and i didnt have to take mine off or notch it out.
    I hop ive got it on right!! yeah i do, it works great, good luck.
  7. Duckman1

Duckman1 Junior Member

I'm not sure I like the idea of you being "entertained" watching them install! Though I have to admit... I should send a video of our efforts when we install my plow. It would probably make your season!

Keep your eyes on this thread okay guys... I will probably have a lot more questions over the next few day. Plan on ordering tomorrow. Should be here within a week and hopefully installed before Christmas.

Thanks for the help.

8. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

well it took me a solid day to install my plow.it came in 10 boxes.
    the directions really stunk but it wasn't to bad.when i mean a solid day 8 hours a day for 2 days

im000182 (2).jpg

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

Hey FordF250,

What's in the box? Your shoveling crew!?:D
  10. meivogel

meivogel Junior Member
    from NJ

need wiring diagram

I read all of these posts and thought you guys could help me out - I bought a used Western setup and have installed the whole thing - except the wiring. The wiring harness I have (think it came off of a chevy) has about 20 plugs - does anyone have or know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 2003 Dodge diesel??

Thanks -
  11. Duckman1

Duckman1 Junior Member

Check the Western website. Look through the literature. You may want to inquire about an isolation module for your application. I'm going to use it! Only three splices need to be made in the factory wiring and everything else plugs in. I don't know it it will work on a "older" plow or not but I would check it out.

I believe the site may have wiring diagrams for the relay harnesses as well. I do not believe you can use the same harness that came off the Chevy.