1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Pro Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eric ELM, Feb 13, 2000.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Hey guys, I got a problem with my lights. It is the 8' Pro plow on a 97 Ford and when I plug in the light and control cable, the lights on the truck should switch off and the plow lights should come on and the truck head lights should not work. On dim this is the way it works now, but on bright, the truck lights come on and not the plow lights. I put some electrical grease on the plug and everthing else works fine including the running lights on the plow. Any sugestions?<br>Edited 02/17/00<br>It was a bad relay, thanks guys for the info.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ah i think you have a bad realy. The reason the plow and truck lights switch with/out a switch is because of a relay. There is a relay for both high and low beams. The signal and running lights are quick splices of the truck's wiring. I think your high beam relay may be gone, and thats why it doesn't which one it's own. Now this is how fisher's wiring works, i am not sure about westerns.<p>Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Eric,check the High beam relay under the hood,it is not switching so it must be bad or probably has a bad conection where the running light wire energizes the relay.The fact that it works on low beam tells me that the running light wire is working so check for switched power to the high beam relay (it is the wire that is hot with just the marker lights on)This is the trigger wire that makes the truck lights go out and the plow lights come on.No trigger,no plow lights.(I will go to the truck and find out which # it is if you need me to.I think it is 87A,but I'm not positive.)IT will take a few minutes so be patient.BTW,I love your lawns!Great work. <p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff is exactly right, fisher and western use the same exact harness.<br>I was on line with Eric, right after he posted, and i told him the same thing.<br>Since the low beam circut is working fine, chances are just a relay.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Thanks for all the good info guys. I appreciate it. I might need to plow tonight, so I thank you for the fast replies. :) Thanks John, glad you like my pictures. Will have more this spring. I hope you didn't run out to your truck. I appreciate the thought, and thanks again.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Eric,I hope you got it figured out,If it is a relay and you really dont want to go without them until you can get a new one-you could jump the white and green wires on the relay,that would give you the lights,but when you unplug you wont have your truck lights unless you remove it.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>