1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western pro flow 2 help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plow3232, Jan 19, 2010.

1. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

I just got a western pro flow 2, I don't have the harness yet, but I tried it and the motor works, but the conveyer does not move. Do I have to get the complete hardness so it could move, because I tried it with just a car battery. Also do what is the purpose of the gearbox?

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Check to make sure the secondary belt is tight enough. There is an adjustable idler pulley. The gearbox gives the reduction for the drag belt to operate at a slow speed and have enough torque

3. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

For some reason the idler pulley belt doesn't work. But its tight. Is the secondary belt for the conveyor? thanks

4. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I have a fisher. Same product different color. The motor drives the pulley that operates the spinner that throws the salt. The lower belt operates the gearbox that drives the conveyor belt that pulls the salt out of the hopper. If your idler pulley is seized (very common) replace it. I replace mine almost annual after coming out of storage.

My suggestion is that you have the motor moving, remove the gearbox belt from the pulley, as after storage it may cling to the pulley preventing it from moving. Then try to move the gearbox pulley by hand. If you can free up the gearbox and conveyor put the belts back and on you might be good.

If the gearbox isnt moving then you have bigger issues that get expensive in a hurry. Had to replace my gearbox pre-season after 9 years, for just under $ 1000. Either way it will pay itself back very quickly once you have it up and running.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Agreed. Replace the idler and the belt. This will probably solve your problem

6. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

thanks a lot guys

7. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

Can I put oil in the gear box? Its empty.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I never added oil to mine so I have no idea what weight or type should go in there. Good luck with it.

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've had the idler seize up repeatedly, no matter how much I try to oil or grease it. The good fix is a new one, the temporary 3am-and-I-need-these-lots-salted fix is to take it off and grease up the bolt and inner race of the siezed bearing. Then reinstall with a locknut but not so tight that it locks the bearing in place--it will spin on the bolt just fine then and get you thru a night or two without worry. I had to wait for one to come in on order, so thats what I did.

As for gearbox oil, I would expect it to take regular gear oil (on the lighter end of the range) or even a heavy motor oil. Definately don't be running it dry. Hopefully its not a big leaker.

10. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

I took out all the gear box bolts, and doesn't come out, the gear box works but the conveyor is full of rust inside, and I can't get it lose from all the rust, I think I'm going to cut the screw, here is a pic

IMG_0023.jpg