1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western pro 7.5 on a 1994 Bronco problem...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by picpro, Dec 26, 2009.

1. picpro

picpro Junior Member

Ok, this has me baffled, bought a used pro on a bronco this fall, worked perfect thru a couple small snows, even at near zero temps. Christmas blizzard comes along and 5 minutes into cleaning the parking lot and made a pass, then no raise or turn. I can hear the motor spin, sounds like no load. I get it into the garage overnight at room temp of 34 degrees, go out and hit the button Christmas day and the blade roars to life, just as snappy as always. So I check all electrical connections anyway, pull the motor, drain the resevoir, clean the filter with brake cleaner, flush some gunk out of the bottom of the tank and refill the tank. Run the blade in the garage up,down,left and right, all just fine. Go out to the garage this morning and do the same check, again working perfect. Drove to the parking lot about a mile away, outdoor temp is about 26, drop the plow and pushed about 30 feet, then no lift, blade angled all the way to the right and then no left and no lift. I can again hear the motor spinning with no load. I left it sit outside for about 30 minutes and still nothing. Later tonight I will get it back into the garage, what do I look for next? Thanks!

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you check the plug connection (vehicle and plow harness) to see if there any corrosion on the pins (plow side harness)?

When you "flush" the system, did you also "flush" the hydra turn rams (angles left or right)??

Also check all terminals on the motor relay to make sure they are tight. Also check the ground wires, especially the black/ orange strip wire, also to make sure it is also grounded.

This would be a good start. Cold weather can do amazing things to electrical, and especially to fluid. For fluid I would use hydraulic fluid, it is a blue color. It is rated for -50*. I use it. Last night where I live it was 15* outside, and the plow work great...

check all the above before going any further..

3. picpro

picpro Junior Member

Thanks, I will check all the connections tonight, I did not however flush the cylinders, I will pick up more of the fluid and do those also....

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

when you clean the screen again and inside the housing, use an air gun to blow everything out. When you un hook the pressure lines from the assembly, make sure you swing (use a hydraulic jack underneath the blade) it all the way to the left, then all the way to the right making sure there is no fluid in the lines. When you re attach the lines (and after you clean everything out), and filling the housing to it fluid level. with the jack still underneath the blade, swing (move by hand) all the way to the left slowly, then move all the way to the right slowly. bring the blade back straight, then recheck the fluid level to make sure there is enough fluid. After fluid level is level, using the control, raise the plow (wait a few seconds) then lower the plow to the ground. Recheck the fluid level again.