1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Powerplow???

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Last night I was following a county pickup, when he turned and I passed him I could see what appeared to be an angled wing, looked exactly like my 810 only it was red and looked brand new. I know Western and Blizzard both got purchased by Douglas Dynamics, did they take the Blizzard features and put them on a Western already? I doubt the county would take the trouble to replaint a new plow a different color, (if it was privately owned maybe I could see changing the color.) Guess it doesn't make any difference, I was just curious.

2. Detroitdan

Decided to try to answer my own question by checking their website. Found some little narrow pin-on wings, maybe that was what I saw. Thought it looked a lot bigger in person. I looked at a Western 9 footer last year, looked real nice and heavy duty, but looking at most of the stuff on the website didn't impress me much. Especially the backdrag blade mounted under the cutting edge. Looks to me like it will load up and the snow will force the whole blade off the ground after a few feet. Much prefer the Fisher style backdrag blade.

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I think your right about the western back drag edge. I have read on the western page that it does load up with snow. As far as seeing a strange plow, I don't know of any red blizzards. I can say that three years ago I was snowmobiling up in houghton mi( the closest big town to calumet mi) and saw a strange plow. I was eating breakfast at the perkins and there was a v plow with metal wings.( not your average bolt on's they had box construction) It was red and I didn't recognize the lift tower from anything I had seen before. When I got home I went online and started looking around and could find nothing that looked like it. I still look online waiting to find out what the heck it was. The blizzard factory was only about 10 miles or so from there ,and boss really isn't that far either. I don't know if it was somthing special or just a home brew set up. I do know that it sure peaked my interest, my brother and buddy that were with me thought I was crazy. Oh well I guess i will just wait and see!!!!

4. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

[​IMG]

Like that only with wings?

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Nope, I looked at hiniker when I did my search. It was something I have yet to see!!! I consider hiniker pretty main stream.

6. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

I only said them because that's where I was when I saw Hiniker dealerships for the first time.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If Western did come out with something new, I would highly doubt that any government vehicle would be the first place you see it. :)

8. Detroitdan

I know, right, and the funny thing is it was an old truck. Pre 97 super duty style anyway. Since then I've seen two of their old brown pickups and they both had yellow Fishers on them.

9. FIREMEDIC2572

FIREMEDIC2572 Member

Unless they went to a government entity and said here try this and tell us what you think.....