1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plows VS. Meyer Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bchlawns, May 13, 2004.

1. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hi everyone, I am new at this site and trying to find my way around. I have one question for all the other pros out there. I am wondering which plow you would recommend to me a Western or Meyer and why?
    Thanks BCH

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

well western out sold fisher this year and meyer are making big change to their line up i like there products equally i know people on here will say meyers stink blah blah blah but i know people that have used them for over 20 years with no problem

3. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks Chris. I have leaning towards a Western. Would u recommend a steel plow over a poly for light commercial?

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the steel cant see spending extra money thats just me

5. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks, yeh i think i like the steel better and a little more havy duty

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Western........nuff said ! My last Western lasted 10 hard NY
    winters ( it outlasted 3 trucks too!) and is still working on my buds truck and is gonna celebrate its 14th b'day.
    I have a Western Ulta-mount going on its 3rd b'day now and
    it has been troublefree ! We got OVER 230" of snow last season
    so you know it works HARD for me ! (its on its 2nd truck now)

Western also has a price advantage over most other brands
    also.
    Another Western plus is all the gear is off the truck when plow
    removed unlike Meyer. That Ulta mount is slick!

I always read of either success or horror stories on Meyer plows.

But pick the brand YOU want and let the closest dealer near you
    be a major decision factor. (But not always)

Good Luck and pray for snow!................geo

7. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

If I wasn't sold on Fisher I would tell you go with the Western. I've had Meyer and Fisher and the Fisher is the best hands down. I am running the same 94 Fisher MM on the 3rd truck now. I've never had to do a thing ever to it. I just picked up an addition Fisher for my small truck.

8. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care Junior Member

I have a 8.5' Western Ultra mount V-Plow and i love it. I would never get a non v plow again. The western will also act as a straight blade in one of it 3 modes. I love it

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Been running thoes yellow blades for over 22 years only because there were no others avalable here. one year with a Boss V and I have 7 yellow blades for sale. I have found Meyers here does not onner there waranty.
    just my observation!

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy a western over a meyer. Meyer would have to get there act togather with their mount before i even thought of buying one. There newest mount whatever there calling it does not look half bad but you still see people with new trucks (new meyer mounts) running around with the headgear all winter which tells me that its not easy to get the stupid lights and hydraulics off the truck. I have always thought that meyers plows looked a little weak but thats just me. Not too many people have meyers around here but the ones that do seem to do fine. A plow is a plow but i would say western hands down.

11. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I learned that as long as you do regular maintanence on the meyers, they last quite a while. They are cheap to buy used, and cheap to fix. It seems like you can find meyer parts anywhere, which makes a big difference when you need parts right away.

12. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the replies. I have been thinking that i am going to get a Western for awhile now. I just wanted to see what the other pros like and think is the best. Thanks Bchlawns

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BCH.........Just a note...........BUY NOW !!!!!

If you wait till the fall....... prices increase !!!!!!!!!
    Now is the time to get your plow. Also shop around to a few
    dealers that sell the plow you want and save some $$$$.
    Spend the extra and have the dealer install it also........esp.
    if its your 1st plow. Western and Fisher offer a 2 yr warranty!
    If you have problems the dealer will fix you up fast..,....

Good luck and pray for snow...........................geo