1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plows Discussion 11/5/2012 - 11/9/2012

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Again this year, Western Products will be hosting a discussion here in their forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 11/5 and run until Friday 11/9. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

This open discussion will be hosted by Andy Maas - Technical Service Representative and Doug Clark - Product Marketing Manager. Please join them for what is sure to be an informative session, and thanks in advance for your participation.
  2. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Good morning. I just wanted to extend a thanks to Michael Donovan and everyone at PlowSite for allowing us to host this weeks discussion.

As Michael indicated, our public discussion will be hosted by Andy Maas of our Technical Service Department, and Doug Clark of our Product Marketing Department.

We look forward to addressing any of your questions, and thanks in advance for your participation. And, thank you for your business.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics
  3. Andy @ Western

Andy @ Western Sponsor

Good Morning. Thanks John and Michael for the introduction.

I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself.

I have been doing Technical Service for about 10 years. I enjoy helping people get there questions answered and problems solved.

Please let me know if there is anyway I can help.

Thank you for your business.

Andy Maas
  4. Doug Clark

Doug Clark Junior Member

Good Morning everyone! I appreciate Mike's hosting the discussion and thank John for his introduction.

I apologize for the day late greeting...I had a sick daughter Monday.

Like everyone else, I am looking forward to answering any questions you have, so please feel free to ask anything that's on your mind.

Thanks for your business, and also thanks for participating!

Doug Clark
    Product Manager
    Western Products
  5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

So there was an ad featuring a stainless MVP plus for us Wisconsin folks, got any more pics and info on them? Do you have any info on becoming a per-production product tester as well?
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  6. Doug Clark

Doug Clark Junior Member

Hi vegaman04, thanks for asking your questions.

First, the Stainless Steel MVP PLUS plows were part of our "Plow Wisconsin" program. They were actually a Limited Edition run, and we're not planning on repeating that in the foreseeable future.

Maybe we should have signed them individually, but they're one of those 1 of 100 promotions you see from time to time.

For your second question, we do from time to time add or change testers for what we call "Winter Validation". We place prototype units in areas of the country that receive many times more snow in a winter than Wisconsin gets. Believe it or not, Wisconsin actually doesn't get enough snow in a typical year to qualify as one of our test sites. Strange but true.

If you were in one of those regions, then we find winter testers by any one of a number of ways...a dealer, who is part of the program, might recommend you; one of the other winter testers might recommend you; or someone might volunteer to Western Products employee. No matter how you're identified there's a long interview process, much like a job interview, with our Winter Validation Program Manager who will then make a final recommendation. We would then make a decision, based in part on how and where you plow. For testers we like a range of plow users...people who are hard on their plows, or have different kinds of job contract profiles. The intent is to get the widest range of information so that the plows we design have seen as many different ways of being used as possible.

I hope that answers your questions!

7. JD MN

JD MN Junior Member
    from MN

How Do I Determind Plow Bracket Needed

Question: I have a unimount bracket on a 00 Chevy, and I am currently searching for a newer Chevy/GMC 2004-2008. Where can I search to find out which year bracker will fit a certain year truck. To explain further for example, will my bracket fit 1999-2001... or say a 2002 bracket will fit years through 2004, ect.
  8. Andy @ Western

Andy @ Western Sponsor

JD, MN Thank you for your question.

1999 - 2002 2500 & 3500 Chevy/GMC used the same truck frames. In 2003 Chevy/GMC made changes that interfered with our mount.

Hopefully I did not confuse you. If you have any other questions please let me know
  9. IDST

IDST Senior Member

I have a twenty ten MVP 9 6 wideout. It is in great shape and I have started doing some more commercial work. Would or is it possible to put wings on this (poly) or what would my plow be worth to trade in/sell to move up to the wideout. I have a 2010 ford one ton
  10. Andy @ Western

Andy @ Western Sponsor

jagext, Thank you for your question.

We do offer a wing extension kit for the MVP Plus.

Part number is 44510-1
  11. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Just curious if there is anything in the works to either enhance or replace the current UltraMount system?

Who won the drawing for the Wideout that was on the website?
  13. Kopper10

Kopper10 Sponsor

WIDEOUT Winner

The data is currently being evaluated by our Promotions Company. When they draw a winner, they have to verify the eligibility of the winner. As soon as they verify the winner, he or she will need to fill out an affidavit and additional paperwork. Then we can publicly announce the winner. Take care!
  14. Doug Clark

Doug Clark Junior Member

Excellent question MarkEagleUSA!

As good at the question is, I'm going to give a pretty generic answer. Basically, we are always looking to improve our product lines, with small incremental or running changes to existing products and with large new product introductions.

Because we really don't want to release a plow before its ready, and because we aren't going to talk up some product that we haven't finished evaluating just to try and create artificial buzz, we don't discuss any projects we may or may not be running until we are ready to make an announcement...which means we think the plow is as good as we can make it and that you'll be excited to see it.

So I can't really answer your question, except to say that we feel that our FLEET FLEX enhancements to our existing mounts really help you get the most out of your plow or plows. I bet you already knew that though.

I hate to come over all Marketing Guy on you on that one, but believe me when I say that when we do launch products we want to be sure you hear just as soon as possible!
  15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Hello, Western Guys.

Thanks for taking the time to help those who help others :)

I have a 92 w250 with a unimount setup and 8.5 blade. The front axle is a 4500 lb rating.

# 1. Can a v-plow work on my truck and do you provide mounts for trucks that old ?

#2. I adjusted the 3 springs to the spec where you put a piece of paper in the coils and it just barely fits. Do you have the proper technique for spring tension, as my dinosaur of a plow, although it works great, was flipping forwards due to really heavy snow this morning..

Thanks again ! Thumbs Up

16. Andy @ Western

Andy @ Western Sponsor

Dogplow Dodge, Thank you for your question.

1. Unfortunately we do not offer a plow mount for a 1992 w250.

2. Tighten the springs until a sheet of paper will fit between the 2nd and 3rd coil of the spring.
  17. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I really like the Fisher stainless plow and how it tapers up on the ends, but I really prefer the Ultramount system. My question is I currently have an 8'6'' MVP, will stainless Fisher mold boards fit on my ultramount system. We have both a Fisher stainless and a Western MVP and looking at them the center mounting pin seems to be the same? Are the cylinders the same length?
  18. Willybak

Willybak Junior Member

Just purchased the Wide-Out from TrailerCraft in Anchorage, Alaska for my 2012 F250 SuperDuty.
    Note: The shifter arm is located on the steering column.
    I really like tthe plow and the UltraMount. Being able to electrically "Lock" the plow is an excellent feature. The Wide-Out and and Security Guard are wonderful examples of Forward Thinking by Western.

The Hand Controller is well designed but I would like to ask a couple of questions on that line.
    First a few details to preface my questions:
    I have modified the controller so that it mounts to my shifter arm.
    Thread and Photos located here: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=139699
    This allows me to work without doing a juggling act between Shifting and operating the Plow Controller. It works well, but I think there is room for improvement.
    I am consulting a local company who may be able to make a housing for the Controller Pad which eliminates the Hand Grip on the controller and enables me to mount it on the shifter arm by hose clamp or similar method.
    Their method of producing the housing is by 3D Printing and possibly using a material that has some fiberglass components which will make it durable enough for my intended use.
    I am still waiting for the quote before committing to purchase. Hope it works out.
    If that proves too costly, I will shift my focus to using aluminum to produce a housing.
    Finally ... my questions:

1) Will western produce a controller similar to the Meyer "Touch Pad Controller".

2) If yes... when...If not... why not?

3) Can I purchase the Plastic Handle Casing that houses the controller Pad individually (Just the Handle/Casing)?

3) How about Voice Command control of the Plow?

Okay... I was only jesting about the Voice Command part... but the real question is what does the future hold for (hopefully near future) Western Plow Controller devices?

I love the western brand and hope that your company will "Push Forward" with R&D as has Meyer has done with "Hands Free Plowing" technology.

The active term here is "Hands Free". In my case I will settle for just one hand that is free.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  19. Andy @ Western

Andy @ Western Sponsor

Ram ON97, Thank you for your question.

We have never fit the two plows together as you have described. We expect that there will be interference.
  20. Doug Clark

Doug Clark Junior Member

Hi Willybak and thanks for your questions!

For question 1, for reasons I outlined above, I can't really comment on what specific new product development projects who might or might not have. I'll turn the question around, although I think I'm pretty clear on your likely answer; what specifically do you like about the touchpad controller? What things would you change for the better if you could?

We do have two current styles of controller, the handheld, as you know, and a joystick. Many of our customers prefer the handheld, but there is a large group of joystick fans, mainly for the reason you cite; they don't like the handheld and prefer to fix it in one spot in the cab.

As for question 2, the answer to one mostly overrides question two.

Question 3 is very straightforward. You can easily and inexpensively purchase handheld body casings, either right or left. The part number for Control Body - Right is 96456 and Control Body - Left is 96457.

As for voice control, to take your question very seriously; with controls that move 800 lbs of plow around we're very careful about making sure that controls are as safe as possible. I'd hate to have a plow drop on someone's foot because someone said "down" at the wrong place and time. We are always, as I said before, looking at ways to improve our products and if we come up with additional control styles that are safe and useful, we'd always consider adding them.

Thank you for your questions, and thanks you for your business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.