1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plows Discussion 11/1 - 11/5

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Again this year, Western Products, will be hosting a discussion here in their forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 11/1 and run until Friday 11/5. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

This open discussion will be hosted by Dan Bacon - Technical Service Representative and Patrick Dietz - Product Marketing Manager. Please join us for what is sure to be an informative session, and thanks in advance for your participation.
  2. RedsGarage25

RedsGarage25 Sponsor

Hey guys..Just saying hello from Red's..Just to let everyone know, Dan Bacon is the go-to guy over at Western and is always a big help whenever we need tech support. Take full advantage while you can!!
  3. dbacon

dbacon Sponsor

Thanks Joe

Just doing what I can to help,

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Any plans to roll out a 8611 version of the Wideout?
  5. Crack

Crack Junior Member
    from MN55106

Night Hawk Lights

New to Western plows, went with them because of reputation.
    I have:
    98 Chevy silverado 1500
    HTS plow with the night hawk lights.
    everything is fine except the driver side plow light does not come on, the only lights are the amber, and high beam. The passenger side works fine.

What could my mechanic missed?

(I bought this through a Western dealer in IL, and I live in MN. This is not the first install of plows for mechanic.)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  6. Laner

Laner Member
    from IA

I have an older MVP that I would like to install on an '08 F350. Do I need to convert to the ISO module wiring for the plow to work on this truck?
  7. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Hello everyone...

My name is Patrick Dietz, and I am the Sr. Product Manager for Western Snowplows. I've been with Western now for 8+ yrs. Like past years, I've participated in these dedicated weeklong discussions, and am looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say... and hopefully answer some questions along the way. If posts start to slow a bit (hopefully because of snow...), I'll try my best to throw some polls & questions of my own out there for you guys to answer. And like previous years, if you have anything you'd like to ask me outside of the public forum, feel free to send me a PM.

Patrick Dietz
    Sr. Product Manager
    Western Products
  8. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

We are constantly looking for opportunity in our product line but Western does not have any definitive plans to introduce an 8’6” – 11’0” version of the WIDE-OUT. Thank you for your request, we take everything into consideration and we are always looking for your feedback/comments.

9. dbacon

dbacon Sponsor

Reguarding the 98 Chev with an HTS

Short of a burned out bulb

I am assuming that the truck was wired using a 3 port module system and has the HB3/HB4 style lights.

If this is the case, the headlamp harness kit has connecters that can be used with vehicles running either a common positive or common negative headlamp syatem. The connectors on our harness are reversable.

Be sure that all 4 of the connectors (our harness to the OEM harness) are connected with the common wire on our harness aligned with the common wire on the truck harness.

It sound like one or more may be out of alignment

10. dbacon

dbacon Sponsor

The '08 Super Duty is using Ford's Smart Junction Box headlamp drivers. It is very sensitive to open circuits and overloads.
    Our Module system is designed to work with this system and would be recommended.

11. cti531

cti531 Member

I just bought a new poly Pro Plow last week and was wondering why you do not offer a poly cutting edge? I see that you only offer steel or rubber.
  12. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

First off, thank you for taking the time to host these discussions. It's great to know a company listens and addresses the concerns and feedback of their customers!

I have a Western HTS that I just switched from a 2004 F-150 to a 2010. Great product! The cost of the mount I had to order for the new truck however, was not so great. $466 for 2 small steel brackets? That's is over 10% of the cost of the plow. I understand the costs associated with design and manufacturing, but generally speaking, from a mass production standpoint, I think it is extremely expensive especially considering the size of the brackets. I would have expected the price to be in the $200 catagory.

Sorry for the rant.

On another issue, I know that Western and Fisher are owned by the same company, and some of the products are really similar. I was curious if Western would consider offering the push bar that Fisher has for it's half ton series plows that mounts onto the plow mounts for the summer months?

Thank you again for taking the time to participate on this forum!!

P.S. Thank you for designing shoes for the HTS! I just ordered them! ...And the price was right. ;)

Tim Engle
    Bee Line Yamaha Super Store
  13. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

You make a good suggestion and a urethane cutting edge is something we will consider offering. Out of curiosity – what type of sites are you plowing that you prefer to use a urethane cutting edge?
  14. cti531

cti531 Member

That would be great!

Actually I am not a contractor and the plow is for personal use. With that said I do a half dozen driveways and one medium sized commercial lot (at our own place of business). One of the driveways has some brick inlay and another has some decorative concrete. The steel edge has been rough on this so I just raise my plow (old plow) a little in those areas, but that leaves "un-clean" areas.

I have heard bad things about the rubber edges not getting things as clean so I don't really want to get a rubber edge just for these couple of instances where I need to be careful. I have heard that poly may help solve both issues and lasts very long too.
  15. WesternProducts

WesternProducts Sponsor

Thank you for your feedback on pricing; it is something we constantly take into consideration. In addition, Western could consider a PROTUBE type option for use in the off-season. The attachment mechanisms between the two plows are not the same so it wouldn’t necessarily be an easy carryover. Would you prefer a black version? Stainless Steel? …Red?

16. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Want to add a wide-out to my fleet and I am looking at the new 2011 Gmc-chevy
    2500hd crew cab 4x4. Have you seen the wide-out on a 2500hd ?
    Is it to much plow for the truck?

Blizzard doesn't recommend installation of an 810 on a gmc 2500hd.
  17. dbacon

dbacon Sponsor

Some 2011 GM HD's are now avaialable with a 6000lb FGAWR. Depending on how the truck is spec'ed, it looks like the WIDE-OUT might be availailble.

The Quick Match program on the Western Website has the 2011 GM's loaded. Try entering your specific truck in the QM program to verify whether it can safely carry the WIDE-OUT and be sure to note the required ballast amount for your vehicle.
  18. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I have a used UltraMount with a 7-6 Standard blade. Using the joystick control, whenever the blade is angled to the left it stops hard when the control is released. By hard I mean it's a serious thump that literally shakes the truck. When angling right the stop is nice and smooth and can almost not even be felt.

I've tried adjusting the crossover valves but that doesn't seem to help anything. I've also changed the oil and filter, checked & cleaned the 3 cartridge valves, and replaced the poppet check valve. The hard stop on left angle still occurs. What else should I be looking for?
  19. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

Stainless or Chrome would be my choice. I would be the first in line to purchase one if you offer it as an option. Another product that would be easier and less expensive would be a plastic cover that snaps on over the pount with the western logo on it. Just to give it a clean look. Thank you for the response Patrick!
  20. dbacon

dbacon Sponsor

The joystick control de-energises the valves as soon as you let go of the functions. When the pressure drops in the angle left function it closes the poppet valve and stops the oil flow. The Hand held control has a feature that holds the valves open and minimizes the shock to the system.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.