1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mattpiotrowski, Jan 15, 2012.

1. mattpiotrowski

mattpiotrowski Junior Member

I bought a Older Cable Style Western Plow for my 86 GMC 2500. i repainted the blade and the pump was rebuilt 2 months ago with a new motor.....yes i know that these are older plows but i was wondering how good they are?. i would guess that they would be pretty good since you dont have to deal with all the electronic selonids and other junk. but i could be wrong i never owned one before and just want to know how they are. and what i should look for? or anything i should do to them? Thanks.
  2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

there are still alot of those cable control plows around, and they do a good job. just not as easy to hook up as current models, and not as fast.
    you should change the fluid once a year (or have it changed). when we service them here we push the fluid out of the cylinders and hoses, take the motor off, suction the oil out of the reservoir, pull the pump out, clean the reservoir out with brake cleaner, change the o-ring on the bottom of the pump, clean out the suction screen (or replace if it's bad), bolt the pump back in, refill the reservoir with new plow fluid, replace the motor gasket, put the motor back on, angle the plow back and forth to fill the angle cylinders, and then top off the fluid. we also check the plow over, test all functions, adjust lights if needed, tighten bolts and so forth. Cost is a little over $100.
    Neal Redding
    parts manager, Truck Equipment Inc, Des Moines IA
  3. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

i hve a cable plow for my 99 f250 and it does me good so far. the good: easy and cheap to fix and parts are pretty easy to find...the bad: just like nealybird said. nealybird pretty much nailed it all...what i had to do with mine is replace the o-ring on the bottom of the pump... o and with the plow oil..i do a half and half mix of hydraulic fluid and plow oil... when i had to clean the filter i had a little bit of ice build up. and cleaning it i soak the pump reservior with kerosene and let it sit overnight