1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow won't lower???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chillman88, Jan 15, 2011.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

I have a older cable controlled western plow. I finally got it on, but it won't lower. I had to clear some ice out of the 4 way lever area, now it lifts, and angles, but won't lower. The lift valve won't budge, it's actually stripping out and will probably need an easy out to do anything with it. Is the motor supposed to run when lowering? I'm going out to check the packing nut now.

Anyone have any ideas???
  2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

No motor doesn't run for lowering. Make sure the lift lower cable is moving the valve enough. You can manually move the valve to lower the plow. Watch your feet! Most likely the cable.
  3. chillman88

chillman88 Junior Member

No, I figured it out. Packing nut is on REALLY tight, but it's working anyway. Turns out it was the check valve. One of the previous owners had put the cables on the wrong spots. I had to de-ice the valves, and move the cables. After much finangling I got it to work. I feel like an idiot, but at least I'm an idiot with a working plow!!!

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't feel like that.You learn and resolve the problem.That all that counts......