1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow wont lift/angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by collins590, Mar 3, 2011.

1. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

I have a western mvp(2007/2008 model, 2 plug set up) that over the past few weeks would randomly not lift or angle for a few second and then go back to working fine again, sometimes for hours. Recently it got a lot worse and now is now working at all. When I press the button on the controller do lift or angle, the solenoid clicks and continues to click but the motor won't engage and we have to unplug the plow from the truck to get the solenoid to stop clicking.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on here.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might have the the following

A) Bad ground. Check all grounds to make sure they are in tact and have a clean ground.
    B) Wires loose on the solenoid. Check the two wires on the small terminals to see if they are loose or corroded
    C) Controller problem. Check you controller harness (under the dash) for any loose connection. If none is found, see if you can borrow a friend controller (if he has the same as your controller) and see if the situation changes
    D) Check your grill connectors to make sure they are clean and the pins are not bent
    E) Check the wires to the MOD to make sure they are push in all the way
    F) Bad solenoid (motor relay). If this is the case, change it with a new western solenoid

These are some of the things you can check first..

Let us know how you made out

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You didn't specify what type of plow it is but being a two wire system it must be either a wide-out or an MVP Plus. (maybe there are other two wire models that I don't know) If it is one of these then you have what they call the multiplex system. That means that the commands from the controller are encoded and sent down a single wire and then decoded in the plow kind of like a radio transmitter and reciever. Each function having it's own frequency. The normal plows have a single wire for every function going from the controller all the way to the valves on the plow. If you have this multiplex system then your motor relay is actually mounted on the plow under the plastic cover. The signal wire is combined into the main power cable. If you disconnect it at the grill you will see two large connections and two small ones. The signal goes through the small ones.

You need to isolate your broblem between the plow and the vehicle. Could be the controller sending mixed messages or the decoder that is not decoding properly. I would go to your dealer and try a new controller first. Also check the wires under the hood along the controller cable. There are two plugs that are critical, the first is where the controller cable connects to the headlamp harness (near one of the headlamps and could be either right or left) and the second ties into the main battery cable. Unfortunately if this doesn't resolve your issue then I would suggest taking it to a dealer. If this plow came to my shop I would be doing some more complicated testing than would be practical to explain. Check those things, and of course what Twinman suggested and let us know if you find anything then we can narrow down some tests if required.