1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western plow with Monarch pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cwlo1448, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I seem to remember that someone last year was using a Monarch pump on a western plow. I am considering the same setup. My big question is did you put the pump under the hood and run longer hydraulic lines, or mount the pump on the A-frame, and run electrical to it.

I am favoring putting the pump under the hood. My only concerns are with the hydraulic lines getting abraded, and high under-hood temps .

I would love to hear your experience.

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Monarch Pumps and Western plow

I always ran Monarchs on all my trucks.

They are the belt driven type, but I also had an electric Monarch.

Since the belt driven ones had to be under the hood, that is where they were, mounted on brackets that I got from Myers in one case, and in another case homemade. Another truck had the monarch HY-Lo that mounted to the generator with a strap and two bolts.

From the pump, I run lines to the controller valve for the plow lift which is a permanant connection, then to the left and right angle quick connections, which I welded the connection nuts to the lift frame above the front bumper.

I used one male and one female welded to the frame for the quick connects, that way I always had the correct hose to the correct connection for left and right.

The electric pump was also mounted under the hood, under the battery on the left side of the jeep, mounted on an el-bracket bolted to the firewall and the top of the jeep frame.

Monarch is an extraordinarly reliable manufacturer, as well as the oldest company in all of the state of Michigan. They are a great help by phone, always ship promptly, and are a pleasure to deal with. They will be there when you need them.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i used to run nothing but under the hood pumps. if you don't have the unit yet you could buy a jb barnes pump with the controler box for approx $540.00 from norther tools. you will need a ram and lift arm and three 10 foot hoses and two couplers, and four 90 degree elbows fittings. the under the hood unit are better for plowing the engine heat keeps the fluid warm and keep the pump out of the weather and less likely to be stolen. we don't use them anymore because we could not fit them under the hood.their is no room in most newer trucks.if you can fit the unit under the hood that is the way to go.if you have anymore questions feel free to call me . 716-830-8808 good luck from al monteforte
  4. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

Source for hoses?

Thanks for the great info guys. Sounds like under the hood is the way to go.

Btw, anyone know of a mailorder source for hydraulic hoses?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ