1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow with Fisher Pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Sep 8, 2013.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I came across a western unimount for sale. but it has a fisher minute mount pump. i don't know fisher plows all that well, but i know both companies are owned by douglas dynamics, and i know that the fisher pump and the western pump appear to be identical with the exception that the fisher pump has a tall lifting piston - otherwise all else seems to be exactly the same.

my concern is the fisher pump on the western frame will not allow the plow to drop as far as it should, and will lift it too high.

this isn't the first time i've seen someone put a minute mount pump on a unimount. is this ok to do? i'd imagine there's a reason the 2 pumps have different length lifting rams?

and do you think i'd have a hard time trying to find someone willing to swap a fisher pump for a western pump?

here's a link to each of the pumps i am referring to. you will clearly see the taller piston on the fisher pump.

http://www.storksauto.com/index.php/western-electric-new.html

http://www.storksauto.com/index.php...ck-plow-pump-minuit-mount-8240-10-ram-hd.html

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you really wanna spend the money......buy the new Power unit
    If not,,,keep the chain loose and don't raise the plow all the way "up" all the time
    The reason there different is b/c the fishers longer truckside frame

3. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

there should be no issues if you keep the chain slacked enough like stated above