1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow with cable controls

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ajs, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ajs

ajs Junior Member

I have a pretty good deal on a 8ft commercial type western plow that has the cable joy stick type controls. I was wondering if there is a way to convert it to electric controls, or should i just leave it. I would be usung this for commercial plowing. I think if I would mount it higher in the cab so I'm not leaning over, it should be okay. Are they, the cables relaible? Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks
  2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I don't think there is a way to convert them, they work really well. Keep a good dab of grease behind the cover where you adjust the cables. Make sure you have the allowable slack in the cable to remount the joystick. On/off switch sometimes will cause a draw shut it off at the end of the night. Commercial or resi they work, change the fluid in the pump housing before you use it, Grease or spray grease on to all your hydrolic fittings to pump and rams and you'll never have an issue when you have to change them at 3am. Deflectors do help in rolling snow and directing it, I am tired so hope this helps.
  3. Mgbss

Mgbss Junior Member

Back in the day I always ran the western for its cable control rather than have a Meyers with electric solenoids, Cable control never let me down Thumbs Up