1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JPLA78, Sep 20, 2011.

1. JPLA78

JPLA78 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Hello all,

I am new to posting here but I have been reading previous posts for a little while. I purchased a used Western Pro not to long ago and I am trying to find the proper wiring for my truck.

I have an 05 GMC Sierra Crew Cab. My local Western dealers have all suggested switching to the Iso module setup, at the cost of $1,200-$1,400. I understand why they suggest this, wanting me to be ready for a new plow at a later date. However, I have found on the Western site that harness 64077 (relay setup) can work on my truck. The plow has a 9 pin connection on it now. I have no intentions of upgrading this truck with a new plow at a later date.

So what I am getting at is can I use 64077 for the harness, 61558 to convert the plow to the 12 pin setup. Do I also need the truck side power kit or are these parts included with the 64077? I also need a controller. Do any Western controllers work or do I need to find an older controller to be compatible?

Just for my own brain growth, what are the advantages and disadvantage of the relay vs Iso setup on "newer" truck?

Thank you
    Joe

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I know any controller will work as long as it has a white plug and is fro a straight blade. I would think the wiring harness is only for the truck wiring. I would think you will need the 12volt power truck side with a solenoid.

To me I don't see any real advantages other than having no realys to fail, however if the iso module fails I think they are about $400 and not servicable. All the iso controls is the lighting.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Some other people may have a different opinion on the module but that is all that came to mind right now for me.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The relay system works fine when it works.... The problem is troubleshooting them when they don't.... The problems occur when you start moving from one vehicle to another and need to find compatible cables for the headlamps etc. When I do a vehicle swap I always try to convince the owner to switch to the isolation module simply because I would rather take their money for new parts that work reliably than to take their money for fixing 15 year old technology. Just take a look at all those ugly connections on the relays and imagine someone pulling all the wries off and having to reconnect them. When you swap vehicles on an isomod system all you will need is a new headlinght harness. The isolation module has only three plugs and no relays. It's so simple to troubleshoot.

5. JPLA78

JPLA78 Junior Member
    from Ohio

So realistically, if I am purchasing a new relay harness and have no desire to unhook the harness and reuse it, it will work good for me? Or are you saying that it is a bad design that will cause problems wether it's new or old and will be difficult to repair? I'm not trying to be cheap, I'm just looking at all options and see which is the best fit. Thanks for your info!

6. mishnick

Please clarify... are you trying to swap from one truck to another or are you just wondering about upgrading a truck that has a functional plow on it? I mean if you have a working plow with relays then leave well enough alone. But if you are having troubles with an existing relay system then take the advise of your Western dealer and spend your money on upgrading. I have spent way too much time trying to repair old corroded relay wiring systems. With new wires you know it's going to work, it will be reliable and it will be easy to troubleshoot. But I will say yes to the bad design question. Western used relays back when there was no better option. They moved to isolation modules for a good reason, and that is because they are soooo much better and more reliable. My bottom line advice is, if you can swap the relay system without spending a lot of time and money on it then go for it. But when the wires start causing problems don't invest any money in them, just upgrade to isolation module.

7. JPLA78

JPLA78 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I purchased a used plow with no wiring or controls. The plow does have a 9 pin harness on it with 2 plugs. Western dealers want me to install a 3 plug iso module setup at a cost for parts only of about $1400. I was looking on the western site under unimount setups for each vehicle and found installation instructions on a relay harness (64077) for 2003 and later chevy/gmc. Pricing this option out costs me in the $500 range for the parts. The harness has a 12 pin connector and requires new lights or rewiring of the old ones with a 12 pin plow side harness(61558). Once this plow is mounted I have no desire to upgrade to the new ultra mount plows which will be so easy with the iso wiring, according to the dealer. That's sounds nice for the future if I ever planned on changing, which I don't. So I am just trying to get this on my truck the most economical way.

8. mishnick

In that case then I would agree that the relay system would be the way to go. I say that because you will at least be working with brand new, old technology. I have seen trucks run 15 years on the relay system without a problem. Now if you were using old wires of another truck that were already corroded and decaying I would not encourage it.

Since you have no choice but to go to the three cable system you will get new control and light wires for the plow side too, bonus! The final result will be all new wires. No butchering, no modifications to "make it work". That sounds like a good solution that will save you $1000. From the "economic" point of view that is a sound decision.

9. JPLA78

JPLA78 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the info and advice!