1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow Wiring problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Aproct, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Aproct

Aproct Junior Member

Hey guys! I have a question that I hope someone may have the answer for me. I jsut installed a western pro plow that has the wiring harness #63420 (HB-5) 9 pin set up. I have everything hooked up and when I went to hook up the plow and plug in the remote controller, no go. Now I did forget to see if the lights were working. DUH! Anyway, the major question that I have is the little red wire that is in the cab that is suppose to go to the ignition wire, what color wire is that suppose to be hooked to? I have it right now attached to a direct hot feed, so I am thinking that this maybe my problem? I look at trying to hook up the red wire to the wire coming off the #27 fuse panel, but wasn't able to locate.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

what year and kinda truck? it needs to be like you said to a ing hot......but I would think you could get it to temp work going to constant? Wierd

Edit: you get a little red light on the fishstick or joy stick? its red when your truck is on but the controler isnt on and lights up green when everything is on. if you have it hooked to constant hot it still *should* be red

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The red wire should go to a "keyed hot" wire or fuse but a constant hot is okay. Go back to your wiring under the hood.... the orange wire with the black stripe needs to go to the ground side of the battery, check that, its a common mistake that will keep anything from working.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

There should also be an inline fuse on that red wire,i saw one come thru without the fuse in it :gunsfiring:

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

was everything hooked up or were you just trying to see if the lights were working? nothing will work unless everything is plugged in.

make sure all your connections into the isolation unit are secure as well

6. Arc Burn

If he explained it right,the 9 pin harness is a 2 plug relay set up and the controll will light without being hooked up to the plow.You are correct about it not lighting up if it's a Iso module.

7. Aproct

Aproct Junior Member

Sorry for not giving more info....It is a 9 pin with two plugs. THe truck is a 1999 ford f-250 super duty. I have the western handheld (figured it would be easier) anyway, no lights (red nor green) seem to be coming on once it is plugged into the harness. I will check on the black/orange wire, but I was very careful in making sure all the wiring went together quickly. I guess another question would be, if the controller is not lighting up, will the headlights still come on once the plugs are plug into the headgear?

I have to wait to try hooking up again since I just loaded the plow on the trailer to bring it home......

8. Aproct

Aproct Junior Member

OOkay, excuse my stupidity here, where is the Isolation unit located? All I remember is solenold, the headlight relays, and the wiring harness.. Where in that line is the Iso unit?

Again thanks for all your help guys!

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the iso unit can be anywhere the installer put it, follow the leads and look for it, I mounted mine under the air filter, its about 4"x8 or so, its not tiny but its also not huge.

you still didnt say if everything was plugged in? the ultramount will not operate anything unless all the leads are plugged in, only them will the handheld light up and the headlights work

near the iso box is also 2 fuses, but there is really no reason a fuse would blow unless there is another problem like a exposed wire or bad connection.

10. plow150

plow150 Member

Sounds like an issue similar to one I had a few weeks back wiring my F-150. Some helpful tips http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=20103 .

I ended up using the switched radio wire and it works fine. You may want to run a hot lead out of the cigarette lighter temporarily to speed up your testing. That way at least you know the controller is getting power and you can then check out the rest of the lights, iso module etc.

11. The Drifter

The Drifter Junior Member

Ever Tried Those Air Deflectors For Plows?

Sometimes my connection were weak and air would disconnect plug--

12. The Drifter

The Drifter Junior Member

13. Arc Burn

You do not have an Isolation Module,your system uses relays instead,don't kill yourself looking for something that isn't there!
    Did you check the in-line fuse on the red wire under the dash yet?

14. Aproct

Aproct Junior Member

Arc Burn,

Good, I thought it was just me! I check the fuse, and rechecked all the connections...Can you give me an direction on possible changing my hot? I would really prefer to have it connected to the proper ignition wire per the directions. When I tried to trace the wire to the #27 fuse it was sealed. No way to trace the wire coming out of the fuse box. Now on the direction it says to look for the light blue/pink wire? Is this part of the wires that are coming out of the right hand side of the steering column? I tried testing these wires with a test light and found my horn wire and the interior bell, but when I tested the other wires with the key on and off, no response on the test light (the light didn't go on) I will try another fuse and see if that works....

15. Arc Burn

Goto your auto parts store and ask for a fuse tap(they cost pennies)check your fuse box and owners manual for a fuse labeled accessory,or something powered by the ignition like the AC or radio,check it with a test lamp to see if it "switches" on/off with the ignition,forget splicing into a wires under the dash,I install Fisher plows all the time and they come with fuse taps in the kit,it's not a cob.