1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western plow wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 06FX4Blizzard, Feb 6, 2007.

1. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

i got a set of wings for my pro plus.. i noticed that there are pretty loose while on.. suppost to be this loose? they slide in and out and back and forth.. . should i try to make them more stable? they also leave about a 1-2 inch trail between the wing and the plow?.. i also noticed today that it scrapes better with the wings off.. i know they need to wear down to my plow edge which is only 3 months old.. the dealer said my plow blade would wear down faster the the wings.. so is there a way to get the wings to wear down faster to match my blade?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Im not too sure about how they are supposed to fit. If you want, I can take a look at them later this afternoon. Especially if you are around Eastlake today. Give me a pm

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

they are loose.
    I did 2 things.
    1. put some electrical tape on the pins to fill in the space
    2. put some rubber round the power bar on the plow where the wings lock on. this keeps the wings in place, quiet, and keeps from dropping snow in between the wings and plow.

hope this helps.

4. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

hi.. thanks for the idea.. same exact thing i was thinking about doing to fix it .. lol.. glad we all think alike :)...

5. turfman15

turfman15 Senior Member

how do the wings work when the plow trips?

6. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

trips like normal when the wings are on.. just gotta remember to pick up the plow that little bit more early when your stacking on a curb or anything else..

7. Mad Mulcher

Mad Mulcher Member

Also, with the wings on, run the plow on dry pavement for a mile or so until the wing rubber burns off enough to be even with the cutting edge. Then you will have no trouble scraping clean!

8. 06FX4Blizzard

06FX4Blizzard Member
    from NE ohio

i ended up cutting the rubber on the wings.. set the plow down witth the wings on and had a 1/2 gap off the ground.. .. i had no where to burn a 1/2 off the wings so i just measured it and cut them with a jig saw.. .. now they work great...