1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow will not raise easily

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by YellowSub, Feb 15, 2012.

1. YellowSub

YellowSub Junior Member

I have a older style Western plow with cables stlye joy stick & it will not raise unless I rev the motor very high (sometimes it won't even raise). The plow lights then go on dimely. I have replaced the motor after breaking off postive lead terminal as well as solenoid. I dumped oil & replaced and had pump inspected for wear. I was told it "looked good". Any thought?

2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

check the ground to the motor

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I'm confused, are you saying your plow lights don't come on until you rev your engine up? or are you saying that when the blade does finally raise that the lights dim?

If a motor is going bad it draws too many amps, which would make the lights dim more than usual, but you said you already replaced the motor.

you would have to put a pressure gauge on it to be sure if the pump is good or not. But, definitely make sure you have a good ground. you should have a ground post on the case of the new motor. make sure you use that and not the tab off of the mounting bolt (if it had one).

4. YellowSub

YellowSub Junior Member

when I hit joystick the engine starts to die and so I have to rev the throttle so as the engine won't stall as well as allowing the plow to raise. It is when I am doing this that the plow lights come on.

5. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Test the pump like this....
    get a pair of jumper cables, jump your positive battery terminal to the positive of the motor, and the negative to the negative (or one of the bolts on the top). keep in mind its best to do this while someone is holding the control stick in order to open the valve at the time you test it.

if your motor fires up. you have other electrical problems. check your ground or run a dedicated ground, maybe test your syenoid aswell.

if your motor does NOT fire up, then keep reading.

Your plow motor needs to be cleaned.

remove motor. take bolts out of the top. the bottom comes off. the inside of the motor comes out of the bottom. take a soft rated steel wool to it, then look at the 3 or 4 "pads" inside the case. clean those with the steel wool. they are probably covered with oxidation (greenish white powder).

when re installing take top cap off as there are 4 pieces that you have to hold appart to get them around the center piece.

i have the motor that is flat on the bottom with the shaft comming out of it. some have a cone shaped bottom, shoudl be the same as far as coming out of hte bottom.

i plan on making a video about it at some point as there seems to be no info on it on the net.
    (or just buy a new one for 150ish bucks)

how to fix clean western pump motor <------------- so google can find this post.

6. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

im sorry. i missed part of your original post. motor was replaced.

facepalms

is the motor a new motor? if used the contacts could be oxidized.

if not used, then check every connection. be sure the sylinoid is working,

and have your battery tested. it can drain a bad battery in a matter of seconds. that could be all of yoru problems, parts dealer can check it for free right on the truck.

7. YellowSub

YellowSub Junior Member

WOW! how did I miss basic electircal 101? It was a ground that was finally it. Thank you everyone for your help.