1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Plow will not angle all the time

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DJAColchester, Jan 1, 2010.

1. DJAColchester

DJAColchester Junior Member

I have a used 9 foot Western Plow that I purchased used for my personal use. I have a problem with the hydraulics on the plow not functioning at times when I try to angle the plow left or right (up and down always works). I have tried repeatedly changing the hydraulic oil but the problem persists. I have found that removing the spool cartridges and putting them back in fixes the problem for a period of time but the next time I go to use it the left right angle function does not work... In fact when I attempt to angle the plow to the left it goes up as opposed to angling. Do you have any suggestion as to what I need to do or replace to eliminate this problem? The serial number on the front of the pump is B1127842 and the plow attaches to the truck in 2 places beneath the bumper to a western steel bracket. I use a hand held controller in the cab to operate the plow. Sure would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Replace all of the valaves. Sounds like some are sticking open and closed

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

DO NOT REPLACE ALL THE VALVES

Have to check the wires coming the the fire wall to make sure the casing is not slice anywhere? When you change the oil, did you clean the screen ??

Check the "BLACK/ORANGE" wire going to the solenoid and check to make sure the connector is not broken, or is making good contact. this wire also has to go to ground on the "negative side of the battery.

Have you try a different controller?

When you took the 3-way (s2), and the 4-way(S3) out did you check the passage for and foreign material (piece of dirt or something clogging the hole)?

Picture of the S2, and S3 valves
    4way.jpg

Did you do a "coil test" to see if one of them were acting up?

Did you probe the valve to see if the "spool was sticking on both valves??

Test
    cct.jpg

The black/orange wire on the valves, make sure the wire is making good contact connection.

Thy these options first.. The "test" should give you an idea if the valve is bad.

cct.jpg

4way.jpg

4. mxz

mxz Junior Member

I am having the identical problem except mine is happening all the time. I am going to test the spools tomorrow as i have been working by myself and haven't had anyone to work the controls when I test by the pump. Can anyone reccomend how to best clean the connections that attach the plow to the truck, those small holes are not easy to tell if the are corroded or not. I will let you know if I figure mine out.

5. twinman326

MXZ
    Use battery cleaner..Spray in on both ends (or one end at a a time), let it sit for a minute or two...Use an air gun and blow the heck out it..You might have to do it twice..After your done, check the pins. Then get some electrical grease (dielectric), put some on the pins, and cram some in the holes..

6. mxz

mxz Junior Member

I will try that, thanks

7. DJAColchester

dkacolchester

I did not check the screen until this morning after reading some of your other input and advice. I then drained the oil again and cleaned the screen. I also noticed at least 1/8" of black sludge on the magnet so i cleaned everything with brake cleaner and blew out the pump chamber tank with air like you suggested. I tried it out and it angled great. I put the cover back on the cartridges and tried it again and it once again would not angle. I was too cheap to buy the $600.00 light kit when I bought the plow so I have two electrical plugs to deal with manually each time I use the plow. After many months of dealing with this problem I believe I discovered the problem tonight which I believe is indeed electrical as you suggested. I had put the silicone electric grease in the connectors originally but never tried the contact cleaner first. I noticed tonight that I could make the plow angle again by pushing the connector on back and forth several times. I think I may have discovered the root cause and I very much appreciate your suggestions and helpful advice.

8. twinman326

Make sure the connectors are making good contact with the pins. Use a pair of pliers, and squeeze the truck side harness (the one with the female contact) nice and easy, not to tight..Keep checking every time you do it to make sure the pins go in easy..I had to do it once to my harness..

9. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I had the same problem, turned out to be a bad connection at the truck to plow plug and it was a new harness to begin with.

10. DJAColchester

DJAColchestor

Thank you for helping me get to the root cause of an extremely irritatating problem! It turned out to be the connectors between the plow and the truck. Even though the up down and lights were working the left right only worked when I worked the connectors back and forth several times. I am going to try cleaning them and if the problem persists I will replace them. Thank you again!

11. mxz

mxz Junior Member

I bought a can of electrical contact cleaner, sprayed and soaked the plugs on the plow,the truck and the controller plugs. I blew everything out, hooked it all back up and.....nothing but the motor running. After unleashing with every bad word known to man kind I took a pair of vise grips and gently clamped the center of the 9 pin plug,went back to the controller and the plow worked perfect! Thank you for the help on this board,it has worked out great!

12. twinman326

Pair of pliers sometimes always do the trick............Happy plowing